What Hand Soap do you guys use?

-
I use the Fast Orange liberally and wipe it off with a shop rag.

When I come in the house, I use Dawn dish soap and wash my hands again. No mess in the sink, and my hands end up really clean.

Of coarse if I'm working with something really greasy where it will permeate my skin, I use the heavy latex type gloves.

I like to use a little bit of borax with about two drops of dish detergent , wet the mixture in your palm, then scrub. Works great, no smells, and skin feels good after. All the citrus type cleaners dry out my skin like crazy.

I use gas.
If i don't have any gas handy, then i use brake clean or lacquer thinner.
Solvent and diesel fuel are not as good, but will do in a pinch.
Then i go eat a 4 piece KFC chicken dinner and wash my hands in the bathroom after i eat at the restaurant.
Perfectly clean after that, guaranteed.
It's finger lickin' good.

Dish soap by itself isn't enough. A long, long time ago, an old mechanic told me to add a spoonful of sugar for grit. Always worked for me.

At my work though, I use Barrier cream first, then just rinse my hands with water.

I use the Fast Orange liberally and wipe it off with a shop rag.

When I come in the house, I use Dawn dish soap and wash my hands again. No mess in the sink, and my hands end up really clean.

Of coarse if I'm working with something really greasy where it will permeate my skin, I use the heavy latex type gloves.

After spending 25yrs in Federal Prison I thought for sure you were sticking with soap on a rope.

Depends what i'm working on.

For dirt or light grease - dawn
Heavier grease - I will use fast orange or similar citrus/ pumice cleaner
For worst messes, paint, epoxy, bondo, ink... Stoko Cupran Special. A bit pricey, but it takes off damn near anything and not harsh at all on hands.

Edit - Just looking this up and I see they are renaming it. Still shows Cupran, but new label is KRESTO ATP (adhesive, tar and paint remover)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 168
Dawn. They use that stuff to clean oil off animals after spills so it's good enough to get the grease off my hands.

I use gas.
If i don't have any gas handy, then i use brake clean or lacquer thinner.
Solvent and diesel fuel are not as good, but will do in a pinch.
Then i go eat a 4 piece KFC chicken dinner and wash my hands in the bathroom after i eat at the restaurant.
Perfectly clean after that, guaranteed.
It's finger lickin' good.

Don't forget the carb cleaner! :D

I use gloves a lot, especially working with grease. When I do get the mitts dirty, it's Fast Orange, followed by dishwashing liquid (Dawn, Palmolive, whatever I have nearby).

I do have fond memories of Boraxo, though.

Dish soap and some Comet with a green scrub pad and stiff nail brush, Leaves hands very dry and stings like hell in cuts, but works like a dream..

Soap.png

Growing up, my Dad always used Lava, and he was a mechanic at the local Cummins Diesel repair shop.

I can't stand much grease on my hands.
I use rubber gloves, that keeps most of the crap off.
There is a bottle of fast orange and dish liquid in a pump bottle by the sink.
FYI summit sells a cheap box of rubber gloves that are 1/2 the parts store cost.
I buy a box of them with almost every order, I think they are called grease bully, they are black for around $10 a box.

At the shop I work at we use a product called True Grit which is a combo of a citrus cleaner and ground walnut shells and it is by far the best stuff I've ever used, it doesn't dry your skin out like mineral spirit based cleaners. You can wash your hands 30 times a day in the winter with this stuff without leaving your hands feeling like a piece of 80 grit sandpaper.

I keep a small container of GoJo in the trunk of the car, for when i go wrecking yarding.
Around the house, garage, i use whatever dish soap that i have on hand, usually Palmolive, and good old Lava bar soap.

I'm so old, i remember when Lava soap was white.

TKO at work, at home i use latex gloves, and lemon scented cheap liquid dish detergent to get the rest off.

I've used just about everything mentioned here. The real deep imbedded grease always required using a brush. If the cuts sting, and they will, I think its just getting the germs out. Lucky with no infections yet. Lava is real good, but the scum it leaves is not good for inhouse sinks. Boraxo is also a good one. Stuff they had at work was like the gel cleaners, only it also had finely crushed walnut shells and had lanolin in it to soften and moisturize hands.

Whatever, I use them all. Dish detergent most often, waterless cleaners on job sites, and powdered hand cleaners on really greasy jobs.
I don't buy one particular brand or type.

I like Lava, too, and still have a few bars.

Y'all must have some dry-*** hands lol, I gave up on dish soap for that reason and I hate the residue from lotion. Rani (and others) you NEED to try this stuff called "PINERITE" they should sell it at NAPA or Ace, ask around if you can't find it. It's made here in Colorado from pine sawdust (duh) it's amazing, pulls the worst dirty car grime off in seconds and actually moistens your hands instead of drying them out like liquid soaps do.

Here's a link to their website check it out:
http://www.pinerite.com/pinerite-soap.html

And for gloves I like the "Black Diamond" disposable nitrile gloves they sell at O'Reillys, 4-mil thickness minimum otherwise they tear on everything.

I do not like nitrile gloves, very little if any resistance to a liquid other than water. Latex, but only if you don't have an allergy to them. But there really is no one cleaner that will clean all of it up. Solvents..... if I have to I will use acetone, but sparingly. For the women out there who remove nail polish, acetone is the solvent that is used, it's only scented like pine or lemon.

I do not like nitrile gloves, very little if any resistance to a liquid other than water. Latex, but only if you don't have an allergy to them. But there really is no one cleaner that will clean all of it up. Solvents..... if I have to I will use acetone, but sparingly. For the women out there who remove nail polish, acetone is the solvent that is used, it's only scented like pine or lemon.

Hell, Back in the 50's and 60 leaded gas was the hand and fore arm cleaner of the day. Also cleaned parts with it.

-
Back