What have I got?

-

383Duster

Reaction score
The 383 in my Duster came out of a 68 Charger....the owner has contacted me and would like to have it so he has the numbers matching motor. Makes me no difference whats in my car as it came with a 318, I found a guy here in DFW selling a rebuilt 383 he got in a package deal with a 67 Cuda, 360, 4 speed and a 727. He plans on using the 360...the rebuild details on the 383 have been lost to time, I have a feeling it was probably put together a while back. It is a forged crank 1970 vintage motor. Anyway after popping off the pan and valve covers I found evidence of a true machine shop overhaul. Crank is 20/20, bored 30 over. Machine work looks good. I am not familiar with the KB pistons it has, can somebody school me? The pistons set about 20 thou below the deck.....I ran out of gas before I could get the cam out to see what it is other than a hyd flat tappet. Also does anybody recognize the rocker arms??? What would be a good price to pay for this thing?...hope i didn't pay too much.....

Attachments

• more duster 001.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 329
  • more duster 002.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 322
  • new 383 008.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 323
  • new 383 010.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 318
  • new 383 012.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 328
  • new 383 001.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 323
  • new 383 002.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 328
  • more duster 003.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 324
  • new 383 014.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 321
I,d say 500.to 750. the kbs are a decent hyperutectic piston but the rockers look like proform in which case i,d pull them and buy a better set. Adjuster break can be catastrophic

It should be worth whatever you sold yours for, meaning the guy who wanted yours should be the one buying it for you. Looks like whoever painted the engine didn't tape of the exhaust ports and got a little paint on that piston. and the inside of the ports.

Not to sure on a price for your engine, but is
that a nick or dent on the rod/beam in the picture?
If it is, might be worth a look at the rest of them.

I,d say 500.to 750. the kbs are a decent hyperutectic piston but the rockers look like proform in which case i,d pull them and buy a better set. Adjuster break can be catastrophic

Around here that is what people want for a rusty pile they just pulled out of a New Yorker..........
I figure the machine shop cost to do a rebuild would be $500.........

So it's the original motor for HIS car? Tell him 10K and back off from there.

So it's the original motor for HIS car? Tell him 10K and back off from there.

LOL....I was thinking more like $4k.
I did email him the vin stamped into the block and he did confirm the motor in my Duster is the original motor from his Charger.

A complete rebuild on an engine like that is at least $2000 or more. Just depends on the parts used and the time spent. Can't really tell from the pictures if they did a valve job or used a torque plate or things like that.

The rocker arm setup is wrong and needs to be changed. Those stamped sheet metal hold downs will destroy the aluminum rocker arms and fill the engine up with aluminum chips.

If you're going to run that engine then you'll want to get it to a shop and have them tear it down and put it back together. If everything is good then it will only cost you the labor and the gasket kit.

I agree that the Charger guy should be paying for whatever the replacement motor costs. I wouldn't try to rake him over the coals for a 383 motor, even if it is the original motor for his car. Just offer up the deal that he pays for this new 383 you found and he can have the original motor to his car.

Now, if you've put 1000's into his original motor, thats a different story!! You should be trying for apples to apples!!JMO, Geof

-
Back