What have they done to my ignition?!

-

Crispan

Reaction score
I have a 67 Barracuda with a 1978 360LA. It has an MSD ignition box mounted on the fender well. It uses the white wire rather than violet and green wires to trigger it. I cannot find a part number on it.

Under the dash, there is a MSD Tach Adapter PN8920, and a Timing Computer PN8980. The documentation on the ignition controller that I cannot identify for sure says to use a 8910 instead of an 8920 for the tach adapter if using the white wire. The black and orange wires that supposedly go to the coil are cut. I think the coil is connected directly to the MOPAR ignition box and the ballast resistor. The MSD stuff says to bypass the resistor.

I think my float is sticking or I have some dirt in my carburetor, but the first suggested step in the procedure is to check the ignition system. I am not familiar enough with the MSD stuff to have a clue. :sad5:

are you going off of this diagram? hook it up as directed by msd. looks like the white wire is not used at all, green and violet splice into dizzy wires accordingly

your msd box is a 6al correct? and whats the problem no spark right? i dont have msd on my car but on my dads chebby it took a moment to figure it out, but wire as msd states.

Attachments

• the good one.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 157
I am not sure what MSD box I have, but it does not match any of the wiring diagrams I have found online. Perhaps I will have to photograph it.

The white wire in your case is not the trigger. green and violet should be connected to the distributor pickup wires (brown and black or orange and black I believe). The "white" wire should be going to a different connection on the MSD from the timing controller called the tach output. The "white" wire that is in the bundle with all the others is not used in this application unless You are using the stock ignition box as the trigger.

This may help
[ame]http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Accessories/8920_instructions.pdf[/ame]

-
Back