What If Build Ideas...for Land Speed Racing

-
i'm currently working out the bugs in my intercooled intake design . but the bottom end and heads are ready to assemble , trans is ready . still need an od unit , quick charge rear end is on hand , just need some tall gears for it . oh ya the most important part is the rear rims , 18x6's taylors made rims are the cream of them . but taylor's not producing land speed rims for some reason . they are a lot more work than nascar rims . so i'm in need of the rear rims , fronts are not an issue , just 15x4/5 steels .

Is the bodywork done

i'm currently working out the bugs in my intercooled intake design . but the bottom end and heads are ready to assemble , trans is ready . still need an od unit , quick charge rear end is on hand , just need some tall gears for it . oh ya the most important part is the rear rims , 18x6's taylors made rims are the cream of them . but taylor's not producing land speed rims for some reason . they are a lot more work than nascar rims . so i'm in need of the rear rims , fronts are not an issue , just 15x4/5 steels .
The standard steel wheel needs to be welded 100%. No stitch weld or rivets, probably know this, but worth mentioning.

chassi is yet tobe completed , i'm slow at getting her done . but at least it's got a name ''lil mis bett'' after my friends mother betty that ponied up for my vintage firestones . it's be just me the rest of the way . i'm looking for someones used taylors , but even those are hen's teeth .

betty brooks told me in her younger days she rode a 750 hd , as she said '' like the wind she blow down the rode '' . she was one great gal . i gave her a ride in a 70 ss chevelle i was selling , she wanted to by it for her son .

P5303537[1].JPG

P5303538[1].JPG

So I learned at bunch since posting last. I would not be able to run in C500 trim for competition as they didn't make 500 of them. So, either stock standard Charger or Daytona. Or run in Open class. No club or records for Open. I talked with Grant at Janak and he will build a Bonneville nose and wing if I need it. Those would be the roughly the same price as high end heads. Hp or cut the drag coefficient in 1/2 with more stability with the uprights???

Also, there is a 130, 150, and 200mph clubs if running at the USFRA World of Speed event. So, there is a chance to get into the club and get the dreamed of hat.

HP is easy. I’ll take the aero all day long and twice on Sunday.
I am leaning that way also. It does make it just another wing car then too...lol. hard to even say those words.

So. If a 1968 HP 383, those should have a positive deck height if my research is right. Can you add a 0.040" head gasket and run closed chamber heads for E85?? Cam selection for factory short block but higher end hp on a wide lobe separation angle?

A wide LSA for sure, I might push it out to like 116-118 and I’d also run duration up pretty high to try and kill more low end. Piston to valve clearance would be where I’d start to see how much duration I could stuff in it. And if you’re running e85 put as much compression as possible in it. I wouldn’t be scared of 13:1 if you can get there.

A wide LSA for sure, I might push it out to like 116-118 and I’d also run duration up pretty high to try and kill more low end. Piston to valve clearance would be where I’d start to see how much duration I could stuff in it. And if you’re running e85 put as much compression as possible in it. I wouldn’t be scared of 13:1 if you can get there.
Ok so we are on the same page.

Any thoughts on closed chamber heads on a 1968 383hp? Would that get my compression? Or shaved 452s?

Another issue is rear gear ratios. 8.75 has a 2.76 as the tallest. 9" can get down to 2.50 I believe. I have a Franklin quickchange but that is Wide 5 and floater. Thoughts?

Ok so we are on the same page.

Any thoughts on closed chamber heads on a 1968 383hp? Would that get my compression? Or shaved 452s?
Absolutely no idea on that. Have to mock it up. Someone like @PRH or @AndyF would have that kind of big block knowledge.

What about the A833 OD trans
I have wondered that, but most. Or most used to run 1:1 trans as it eats HP. Better to use taller rear gear...I think.

I have a Performer RPM and Torker 383 to choose from. I wonder if a short runner tunnel ram would be a good choice.

Anyone know how much a Barry Grant 750 dp for alcohol would need to be changed for E85? I have one on the shelf.

I have a Performer RPM and Torker 383 to choose from. I wonder if a short runner tunnel ram would be a good choice.

Anyone know how much a Barry Grant 750 dp for alcohol would need to be changed for E85? I have one on the shelf.

Are you allowed to run alcohol.

Are you allowed to run alcohol.
Alcohol would put you into "fuel" class which adds about 100mph to the record. So that would would be alcohol, nitrous, propane, and nitromethane.

E85 is ok to use at USFRA events as gas. SCTA, says no and puts E85 in fuel class.

So I just called Bullet Cams and they recommended for my current 10:1 (supposedly factory spec). They said 260° 0.050, 110 LSA and 0.555” lift with 1.5 rocker. His concern is going too wide of LSA and still needing to pull the gear and accelerate. I specifically said for Bonneville. He also said this can be used up to 15psi of boost before recommending a larger one.

I measured the Franklin quickchange I have and it is the perfect width. This could get me some much better ratios. I am not sure what is it in now for ring and pinion or spur gears. I would have to change out the magnesium wide five hubs for standard car stuff. It needs a complete rebuild, the bearings I have seen need replaced.

So, question on the original topic. With limited traction, is it best to have 1200hp with 20% or more slip or 900hp that can get put to the ground? I know that 20% slip from 1200hp is 960hp, so that is more but also what is lost trying to get to speed? Is this more of a concern for a shorter course like El Mirage? Mythical made up numbers but the slip % is what I have heard mentioned via a data recorder on a car from a couple years ago

I was thinking like no prep racing. The hp drag cars without traction can loose to a less powerful car that doesn't spin the tires. Just thinking while at work.

Better? That’s hard to answer honestly. How good is your right foot? the two surfaces, el mirage/bonneville (dirt and salt respectively) are very different but have the same problems. At 900-1200 hp you’re going to have wheel spin well in to the 130mph range and maybe more in a big body car. I wouldn’t be surprised if you were not able to get to and maintain full throttle at all at el mirage even at the 900hp level. So I’ll take more hp and learn to moderate it with my foot.

Better? That’s hard to answer honestly. How good is your right foot? the two surfaces, el mirage/bonneville (dirt and salt respectively) are very different but have the same problems. At 900-1200 hp you’re going to have wheel spin well in to the 130mph range and maybe more in a big body car. I wouldn’t be surprised if you were not able to get to and maintain full throttle at all at el mirage even at the 900hp level. So I’ll take more hp and learn to moderate it with my foot.
I'd be lucky to have 1/2 of either those HP numbers, but it got me thinking about how so many have such high HP but then fight traction. I am hoping to make progress on the car next week. Off for 10 days. I did get a set of 17/32 spur gears for the quickchange. I don't know the ring and pinion ratio yet, but most are 4.12, 4.57 or 4.86 with 4.86 being most common. This set would give me between 2.19 and 2.58:1 depending on R&P.

-
Back