What If Chrysler Goes Bankrupt???

-
So then the problem must be that they are simply producing way too many of their gas guzzling pick up trucks that are not selling do to the gas crunch caused by the over inflated prices which are blamed upon the war then.

Yes thats right, I beleive there was an article saying they had too many truck in their inventory that were not selling.

But, why oh why are the japanese and other asian cars outselling ours?

Is ours just simply not as pretty? Do ours have more mechanical problems? Cost too much? Worse resale value?

has this problem not happened before???? what happened in the 70's when the price of oil went up, the small car market took off just as it has in the last year or two. and now just as it happened then the NORTH AMERICAN auto makers (chrysler, gm, and ford) were caught with there pants down the same as now. the big three (two and a half to cover chryslers part ownership) have the same ability to draw on there small cars that get 30+mpg from europe, austraila, and asia. but the didn't the all chose to increase the size of there suv fleets, and cross over vehicals. i don't think that the big three are paying much attention to what joe & sally public want. this the average person that does not care about the car as lone as it gets from point "a" to point "b" as lone as it gets better gas milage than the jones.

now as for daimler droping chrysler i have no idea. i do know that last year renault/nissan (yes they are a joined company since about the early 90's i think) were putting forth an offer to puchase majority shares in gm and there offer was tured down. i know what you will all say but i would have no problem with this merger if daimler was to be chicken sh** enough to walk away.

daimler has to take some of the blame in the losses of chrysler, they have the technology and the engines in there brand to help. they have a deisel engine that got better milage, put out more torque and more hp than the cummins but the still went with the cummins. sorry guys the cummins is a great engine and i would own a ram with one in a heart beat. but look at the smart cars there is a hole bunch of smaller cars like that that daimler is building and the not shareing with there stable mate.

well sorry i went on so long but that is just my 2 cents, well ok maybe a quartes worth :)

2shelbys said:
Part of the problem is that so-called "expert sources" like Consumer Reports are full of crap and are actually little more than ad agancies for Japanese cars. The best example that comes to mind is their treatment of the early 90's Dakota verses the Toyota Tacoma. The Dakota used to get the "Best Ownership Experience" award nearly every year, partly because of reliability, but Consumer Reports gave it their lowest rating. The Takoma, with it's wonderful new 190HP VZ engine, had a design flaw in the cylinder heads that had owners buying head gaskets by the gross. Consumer Reports gave it their highest rating. A guy I worked with made Toyota take his P.O.S. Tacoma back under the Lemon Law because it spent almost 4 months of it's first 7 months of life in the shop getting head gaskets and new heads. The other part of the problem is that so many Americans are so pathetically lazy that they do little or no research and just act on information that was out-of-date 20 years ago. I can not remember which year it was, it was around 8 or 9 years ago, I saw a headline in one of the car magazines about Toyota having more recalls that year than Chrysler and Ford put together. Since 1990 Chrysler has had 113 recalls, Honda has had 155, and Toyota has had 226! Ah, that legendary Japanese craftmanship!

I believe this is true and all the new car magazines say nothing but good things about Imports and nothing but bad about Americans. But also I wonder if the American car companies actually care about what Americans want. It is sad that American car companies can't afford to build cars here but that more and more cars from foreign companies are being built here. I also think this change in who buys what cars is because a lot of Americans are getting lazy and don't work on their own cars, they just get a car and drive it and know nothing about it.

There is so much to say on this topic...I'm not going to bother because no one is going to take the time to read it.

..welcome to the global economy.

..Unions need to inderstand it's not all about them.

DragginMAster said:
what about in the here and now though. last time I checked mid 60's darts and cudas were no longer being manufactured with any engine combinations.

What about it. My wife's Neon gets over 30 MPG crusing at 70MPH+. My '87 GLHS got over 30 MPG cruising to Georgia at an average of 85 MPH. American manufacturers do not biuld hybrids because they know how much trouble the Japanese are having selling them. Last summer Honda announced that they were cutting their hybrid production by something like 70% citing sluggish sales. Not many people want a death trap no matter how economical it is.

2shelbys said:
What about it. My wife's Neon gets over 30 MPG cruising at 70MPH+. My '87 GLHS got over 30 MPG cruising to Georgia at an average of 85 MPH. American manufacturers do not biuld hybrids because they know how much trouble the Japanese are having selling them. Last summer Honda announced that they were cutting their hybrid production by something like 70% citing sluggish sales. Not many people want a death trap no matter how economical it is.

last i heard the hybrids were kind of pricey anyway. If they want to change things as far as the basic type of power plant used to motor people around the government should take the initiate and give a company like Chrysler or ford, or both a **** pot of money to make a hybrid, well, they make the car with their own money, but then the government pays a chunk of each cars purchase price, making the car affordable for the general public, then, once you get all the damn poor people driving the hybrids, popularity will start bringing the prices down, as well as saving us a lot of dependence upon foreign oil.

but thats just me.

AbodyJoe sums it up the best. There are just too many problems to pinpoint. Chrysler has too much inventory. Who's brilliant idea was it to build so many cars that sit on overflow lots? Chrysler will be moving 06 units well into the 07 model year. Not to mention holding costs and future impact on production workforce. Daimler dropped the ball somewhere and looking for a cheap fix maybe? That's not paying attention to supply chain requirements. Its just one of many problems. I'm not an auto industry analyst, but this problem just stands out to me.

I still haven't seen or heard anything concrete about the sale of Chrysler. It's only a rumor. This made for an entertaining thread though. Even if Chrysler was spun off. Could it be any worse than what Daimler did? Chrysler was still able to bring the Charger, Magnum, Challenger to production. The Charger was a concept before the Daimler-Chrysler merger.

Renault was able to turn Nissan around. I don't think there is very much Renault engineering in any of those Nissan cars.

And stop blaming the imports. It is not Toyota or Honda's fault that they built a competitive product and take advantage of the programs or tax breaks available to them. I'm not sure that domestic automakers don't have their own advantages here. All I know is there is waaay more margin selling an American car than an import. I've sold them. In many cases the Japanese import is more expensive. If your worried about the Japanese, watch out for Hyundai. It will be scary to see where they are at in 10 years. Even the Japanese auto makers should be worried.

Someone posted some reliability figures above. I can only say this. I have had fewer problems with my Nissan based product in the first 72000 miles than I did my Dakota in the first 69000 miles. When I buy a car, the first 12 months doesn't concern me, it's the last 12 months.

Mopar will always be Mopar. With groups like ours, Mopars will never go away. Do I own an import? Yes. Will I always own a Mopar? Yes. The 2 CAN coexist.

All of the above, IHMO.

-
Back