What intake for 440?

-
I have to run an offset lowered base plate, anything lower wont work on mine ! I have proved it on my set up ! I did see the pics of yours tho. You don't have as much under the hood as I have , so ur pic really didn`t help me at all. It may the orig. poster .

I wonder if that drop base will work with a thermoquad also?

Dual 1300 cfms per fan
20170506_232030.jpg

'69 440 block +.040
ProGram 4-boly (boly? bolt!) mains
Melling HV pump
4.15 Eagle Crank
6.76 Eagle Rods
Diamond dished
10.3 compresson
Lunati 60333 solid roller
PRW 1.5 stainless rockers
Hughes studs and rocker shaft hold downs
RPM heads 292 cfm @ .500", 309 @ .600", 321 @ .700"
Edelbrock Torker II
950 cfm Quick Fuel Q950
91 octane

Back to back to back to back tests...............

Torker II.......................................................620 TQ/638 HP
Torker II & 2" Spacer....................................634 TQ/650 HP
Edelbrock RPM.............................................640 TQ/627 HP
Ported RPM.................................................639 TQ/640 HP
Edelbrock Victor w/gasket match.................615 TQ/637 HP
Victor w/plenum blend.................................620 TQ/647 HP
Victor w/plenum blend & 2" spacer...............624 TQ/654 HP
Victor w/ported plenum...............................617 TQ/647 HP
Victor w/ported plenum & 2" spacer.............629 TQ/656 HP

Oh yeah, peak horsepower..........all at 5,700-5,900 rpm.

Of course these are only peak to peak results. The real story is how they performed throughout the rpm range.
Did you ever get the chance to run this down the track for times im very curious as i have a similar build.

Did you ever get the chance to run this down the track for times im very curious as i have a similar build.
Track? What a laugh. Seems to be my fate that the things I build just tear up the streets. I once just asked him if he knew what kind of gas mileage he was getting.

"How in the world should I know? All I do is smokey burnouts!"

Track? What a laugh. Seems to be my fate that the things I build just tear up the streets. I once just asked him if he knew what kind of gas mileage he was getting.

"How in the world should I know? All I do is smokey burnouts!"
Streets you say, any in the great state of Idaho, lets say Lewiston area, up here in the north. give me a hint lol
We will be looking.

Ok, this my first Mopar, actually my first Big Block in anything.

I am building a 69 Dart with a 72 RB block which will receive a 512 kit and upgraded heads from 440 Source. Brother is an old Mopar guy and he tells me I will buy an offset rocker system and a Comp Roller with good specs I'm not able to quote route now. A 727 and TH I tubes will get used. A FiTech 850 fuel injection.

Realistically, will I be able to tell the difference between decent ported single planes?

Ok, this my first Mopar, actually my first Big Block in anything.

I am building a 69 Dart with a 72 RB block which will receive a 512 kit and upgraded heads from 440 Source. Brother is an old Mopar guy and he tells me I will buy an offset rocker system and a Comp Roller with good specs I'm not able to quote route now. A 727 and TH I tubes will get used. A FiTech 850 fuel injection.

Realistically, will I be able to tell the difference between decent ported single planes?
What exactly are upgraded heads from 440 Source?

Why an offset rocker system? Shouldn't be needed unless you are using the Super Stealth heads.

Realistically, how are we to know what you are capable of telling, ported single plane wise. It might really be decided by the skill of the porter.

I am planning on the Super Stealth. I believe they require the offset rockers, no?

The porting is a big issue , as I have had a few manifolds destroyed when I was messing with SBCs. My brother has an assembler in mind here in the Piedmont area. He used to use Herb Mcadless's shop.

This whole thing is my retirement present so I really want a streetable monster. I have the body on a rotisserie and a lot of work to do. I have a line on a used M-1 manifold but not too sure what's tallest. I Do Not want to cut a hole in my hood. I want to drive it regularly. A Gear Vendor unit may be in the future also.

TOO MANY DECISIONS!

Super Stealth........okay. That's too bad, as retired military, you deserve the best. They are no better than the standard Stealth head and both are way inferior to the new Trick Flow 240 heads.

What is it you don't like about them IQ52?

I'm trying to keep the CR down to run pump gas.

From what I can cipher they look like a good head for the $.

Please help me make a logical discussion with my brother. I have been letting him guide my choicesbecause I trust him and owe him a lot. I just want bulletproof suit. I am too frickin old and fat for too many repairs anymore!

Now this was back in 2013, way before the Trick Flow 240 heads came out............

440 Source Super Stealth, what flow #'s?

The Trick Flow heads are fully CNC ported and have 78cc combustion chambers. Very accurate, I know, I have them in the shop right now and I have measured them.

If you are talking Stealth heads I'm guessing you may be going with a 440 Source stroker kit. I have used them with great success. According to their web site, with a 512 kit you could use a 27cc dish piston and the 78cc head and be in the range of 9.9-10:1 compression.

Trick Flow PowerPort 240 Wedge

I'm tired, I'm going home and go to bed. I got to the shop at 5:00AM this morning and it is now mid-night +20 minutes..............bye.

The Torker II should work okay. In our tests on a mild street 496 it would make 600+ lb-ft over a 2,000 rpm range, 620 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm and 638 hp @ 5,900 rpm. Of course the RPM intake was making some 30+ lb-ft of torque more at the lower rpms and only 12 hp less at 5,900 rpm.

Yes, and yet you cannot tell people the difference is that small, no matter what you say. The honest point is, while different intakes will make different power, they aren't "all that different", but that's a point you've tried to make a hundred times before.

Just like all the cam threads trying to find the "magic bullet". The engine is gonna make power regardless. No need driving yourself crazy trying to find that "perfect combo".......as if that even exists.

Now this was back in 2013, way before the Trick Flow 240 heads came out............

440 Source Super Stealth, what flow #'s?

The Trick Flow heads are fully CNC ported and have 78cc combustion chambers. Very accurate, I know, I have them in the shop right now and I have measured them.

If you are talking Stealth heads I'm guessing you may be going with a 440 Source stroker kit. I have used them with great success. According to their web site, with a 512 kit you could use a 27cc dish piston and the 78cc head and be in the range of 9.9-10:1 compression.

Trick Flow PowerPort 240 Wedge

I'm tired, I'm going home and go to bed. I got to the shop at 5:00AM this morning and it is now mid-night +20 minutes..............bye.

Merry Christmas, Jim. Thanks for all the great info!

What is it you don't like about them IQ52?

I'm trying to keep the CR down to run pump gas.

From what I can cipher they look like a good head for the $.

Please help me make a logical discussion with my brother. I have been letting him guide my choicesbecause I trust him and owe him a lot. I just want bulletproof suit. I am too frickin old and
^^^^^^^^^^^^
fat for too many repairs anymore!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This , I KNOW ABOUT !!

The possible difference in porting single plane manifolds will be in the manifold and the person doing the porting.

As I reported in the N.A.C.C.B.P.P. EQ360, in doing some work to a small block Strip Dominator, we were able to pick up 60 cfm in each port. That is a difference that should be noticeable.

On a 550 HP engine I've seen a 18 HP increase by just bolting on a 2" spacer between the carburetor and intake manifold.

Dad says, "Jimmy, you just got to be smarter than your intake manifold."

And yes, Merry Christmas all!

-
Back