What is accepted tolerance for new aftermarket valve springs?

-
Certainly is Rube Goldberg but damn, if he can make it repeat it works good.

I like it when guys take what they have and get it done. Like I said, as long as you can get repeatable results it works for me.

I spoke to my machinist about which valve springs to buy for my next set of heads and he was adamant I should buy the Isky's. When challenged he said his dad has raced a set for over 10 years and has only seen a 5 or 10 lbs drop in pressures on that set over that time.

The Comp equivalents are much cheaper

Outstanding you get the Rube Goldberg award
If that's a compliment, thank you , but that's a joke calling it a Rube Goldberg machine. Read the definition of what that is and it's the exact opposite of mine which has all of six components, including the valve spring being tested. Not sure how a simpler could be designed from common parts on hand, but if you can, please show us yours. Don't worry, not offended, just perplexed at the analogy.

I spoke to my machinist about which valve springs to buy for my next set of heads and he was adamant I should buy the Isky's. When challenged he said his dad has raced a set for over 10 years and has only seen a 5 or 10 lbs drop in pressures on that set over that time.

The Comp equivalents are much cheaper

When you say 'equivalents' I assume you mean springs with similar specs. I am looking at other springs so I will look into Isky. I have had some of their stuff before and always top quality. I think Manly are very good also.

When you say 'equivalents' I assume you mean springs with similar specs. I am looking at other springs so I will look into Isky. I have had some of their stuff before and always top quality. I think Manly are very good also.
Yes similar spec springs.

Rocket Ind has the isky 6005's for about $290

VPW looks to have the Comps for around $130

Cheapest i have found Isky's 6005:

ISKY DUAL VALVE SPRINGS 275 LB/IN 1.120" BIND HEIGHT 1.430" OD .730 ID ISK6005 - Isky Racing Cams

I have been down this rabbit hole trying to find a spring that has an acceptable spring rate that also does not coil bind at the valve lift I am running. The springs my motor had in it were an unknown brand double valve spring with a dampener. They were about 30 years old and the inner spring on 2 of the springs had broken. I wound up replacing them with a set of trick flow springs. 16926-16 I have a 1.7 installed height and a .508 lift mopar purple cam.

Yes similar spec springs.

Rocket Ind has the isky 6005's for about $290

VPW looks to have the Comps for around $130

Cheapest i have found Isky's 6005:

ISKY DUAL VALVE SPRINGS 275 LB/IN 1.120" BIND HEIGHT 1.430" OD .730 ID ISK6005 - Isky Racing Cams
Thanks for taking the time to send those leads. Looks like you are in US but those sites are all Aussie ones. The Isky springs may be better and more consistent but those ones are a little soft for my application. I would be wanting well over 300 lb open load, those are only 275. My lift is 0.525. The seat pressure at 115 for these Comp springs is quite low compared to the open - hence the high spring rate over 400. (all claimed figures don't forget - what I found were lower in reality, but the seat pressures were all higher, hence giving a lower rate). I might have to wear these springs, as I also bought the correct 10deg retainers for them and so the cost to replace both would be quite high, either from Aust or importing from the US. I could try and sell the Comp springs and retainers as a new set on the used parts market but we are in a huge slump at the moment - no-one is buying much in this small city.

I have been down this rabbit hole trying to find a spring that has an acceptable spring rate that also does not coil bind at the valve lift I am running. The springs my motor had in it were an unknown brand double valve spring with a dampener. They were about 30 years old and the inner spring on 2 of the springs had broken. I wound up replacing them with a set of trick flow springs. 16926-16 I have a 1.7 installed height and a .508 lift mopar purple cam.
Yeah I would say after 30 years, those springs are scrap by now. Or good for running in a new cam and then swapped. They are only wire after all and valve springs get a tremendous workout over the years. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding springs for that lift, it's not a huge lift. If you were also using 1.6 or 1.7 rocker arms, then it could get tricky. Mine is 0.525 (Comp Cams "Extreme Energy" series) which is starting to get into 'high lift' for a normal street engine although it is still pretty mild, and the comp springs I have which are the subject of this post are 996-16 and are recommended for that camshaft. I looked up the specs on those TFS and they look like they could also work for mine, probably are a better spring too but as I mentioned in last post, it's a bit of a cost to bear as I also have to get the retainers to suit. I have written to Comp and will see what they say. I expect them to flick me off with some time wasting response but will see anyway.

6005 Isky's set up for BBM really easy on the valve train and run like 4 ever
SBM are tougher with the shorter installed height
when you say Comp's are cheaper- well you got that right

Thanks for taking the time to send those leads. Looks like you are in US but those sites are all Aussie ones. The Isky springs may be better and more consistent but those ones are a little soft for my application. I would be wanting well over 300 lb open load, those are only 275. My lift is 0.525. The seat pressure at 115 for these Comp springs is quite low compared to the open - hence the high spring rate over 400. (all claimed figures don't forget - what I found were lower in reality, but the seat pressures were all higher, hence giving a lower rate). I might have to wear these springs, as I also bought the correct 10deg retainers for them and so the cost to replace both would be quite high, either from Aust or importing from the US. I could try and sell the Comp springs and retainers as a new set on the used parts market but we are in a huge slump at the moment - no-one is buying much in this small city.
I'm in Sydney.

You could look at Isky's 6105:VALVE SPRINGS [6105] - $226.00 : ISKY Racing Cams, Do It Right, Race With The Legend

Rocket Ind has them for around $290 as well. I will be running them with Comps 740-16 10 degree retainer.

In regards to the 6005's my machinist has them in a few very quick running builds from memory mid 10's/11's with cams that exceed the lift and spring rates. Went to a 330 lbs rate spring and saw no difference in ET or performance.

-
Back