What is an A-body 8 3/4 worth

-
last one i sole was drum to drum with springs freshly out of a parts car. got $500 with no problem..

anymore then that it better have new parts on it.

when you are getting to the $1000 area its cheaper to just get a c-body house or something narrowed and put your own axles and brakes in it..

That's what I'm doing. I got a free C-body 8 3/4 when I bought my Dart. It is going to cost $200 to have it shortened and have ends/perches welded back on. Then I'll just get axles from Dr Diff.

Last one I bought was $175 for a bare housing with a 742 case with barely used Eaton 4.56 gears and 7260 yoke. The guy pulled the sure grip out of it but the rest of the parts are there. Found axles, loaded backing plates and a drum (had a spare drum in my stash) for $130. So thats $305 and I still need a sure grip. A new clutch type is around $450 so I think a good rear ready to go is $750 plus. I wish you could still score good ones in the junk yard for cheap.

That's what I'm doing. I got a free C-body 8 3/4 when I bought my Dart. It is going to cost $200 to have it shortened and have ends/perches welded back on. Then I'll just get axles from Dr Diff.

makes a lot more sense then spending all that money on an abody one if its not a full out restoration.

I'm sold on the Dana 60 now. Cheap, strong.

Me too. I have one that is done in my minitubbed car and another to build to stock specs for my other car. They both have power lock sure grips. Got a spare power lock for 4.56 up gears too.

Here is a realistic break down...

Using used parts you are looking at:
Center = 450
Axles = 450
Brake angd housing 250
powdercoat or paint 150

1300$ and you have mostly used parts.

Anyone OK with paying these prices, please contact me, I have a spare lying around!

I've bought an abody housing once for $5 at a swap meet the guy didn't know what he had also bought real nice small bolt axels and flared small bolt drums and backing plates for another $30. I picked up another nice bare a body housing this year for $100 and it was clean and powdercoated. Just depends on how bad someone needs it. I myself wait til I find a good deal. You could probably sell it whole for 600 bucks.

Anyone OK with paying these prices, please contact me, I have a spare lying around!

Look in the for sale section.

And the axle price was for new axles with green bearings installed and 3" long screw in studs BBP from moser.

I figured you were but it seems like you are saying people are paying far less.

Well, it just completely depends on the condition and what specific components. Range from core to ready-to-go with good parts. Your prices are toward higher end of that spectrum (but not as high as it can go for the really good stuff obviously), so... But if anyone wanted to pay anywhere near that for stock used parts, I'm ready to liquidate! :)

I think I got a pretty good deal on my ready-to-go 8.75 setup a couple years ago. All new, Strange axles, 3.55, clutch Sure Grip, new brakes with extra parts thrown in... the works, quality build for $1000. Not bad.

Everyone is just throwing out these numbers without specific parts rundown and condition. Again, it matters dramatically. If anyone wants my core stock open complete for $700, come and get it.

Everyone is just throwing out these numbers without specific parts rundown and condition. Again, it matters dramatically. If anyone wants my core stock open complete for $700, come and get it.

The prices I threw out there are for ready to go pieces. I.e. The 8.75 I just sold needed nothing more than to be bolted in and hit with a little touch up paint to go in a running show car. That sold for 1,000+shiping.

The prices I threw out there are for ready to go pieces. I.e. The 8.75 I just sold needed nothing more than to be bolted in and hit with a little touch up paint to go in a running show car. That sold for 1,000+shiping.

Gotcha, right on.

I didn't know that 8 3/4's for A-bodies were that scarce that they command such high prices.$1k for one rebuilt with 3:50-3:91 sure-grip gear rebuilt I can see.

Classic car parts are getting harder and harder to find now. Especially the sought after muscle car years 1967 to 1972 being some of the highest performance parts and cars. These are all over 40 years old now making it tougher than ever to build anything that actually works!

Classic car parts are getting harder and harder to find now. Especially the sought after muscle car years 1967 to 1972 being some of the highest performance parts and cars. These are all over 40 years old now making it tougher than ever to build anything that actually works!

On the flip side of that coin they are making a lot of the stuff new again driving the prices of the OEM stuff into the dirt.

for example 67-69 camaro steel repop bodies starting at 7500$. 32 deuce coupes for 20k

-
Back