What is this turbo good for?

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Besides the 05 Cummins 5.9 it came off of. :)

I'll have to get a picture of it, but it's a Holset unit with computer harnesses on it.
Are they of any use to us car guys, or a diesel only unit?

Thanks

I would think it'd be great on a slant, maybe a 273

Big problem is they are too small, I believe even for a 318, unless you can get two of 'em.

I would think it'd be great on a slant, maybe a 273

Big problem is they are too small, I believe even for a 318, unless you can get two of 'em.

Really?
If it came of a 5.9 and is rated for 300-600 hp?
I have no idea, just asking.

Boat anchor...

I think it's too light to be a decent anchor. :)
Maybe for Crappie fishing on a smooth lake and a calm day.

If I remember correctly a cummins turbo is too small because gas engines revs so much higher than diesels, twins would be ok I would think though.

Think that turbo may be what a local guy is using on his turbo 6.0 LS.....but he is using a pair of them.....

I've seen this before around the www. The opinions seem to be they are way too small. Remember, a diesel, just like your gas engine, is a 4 stroke air pump. They run at far less RPM than most gas engines, so less airflow.

Smaller gas motors, like 2.3l to 3.0L. I know the older 2000ish Holsets off the Cummings were a popular swap for the 2.3 Turbo Ford guys. You have to remember that diesels don't turn the rpm's a gas engine does, so they need a fast spooling turbo (i.e. small) turbo. It would be a fun turbo on a slant 6.

I will say it also matter if its off a manual or auto truck, last I knew they were different.

The turbo does not care if the car is gas or diesel.... it only know to blow air in response to being driven with air. The usefulness would depend on the pressure/flow curve. As above, any low RPM, small to moderate displacement application should be able to use this turbo. The /6 would be a good candidate for low-mid RPM's but any larger displacement V8 would have too much WOT displacement for this to support. A 318/340 range engine would be better off normally aspirated than with this turbo, IMO; the same or more HP and no lag.

BTW, the max boost on this year is pretty good (high 20's). The advantage is in the quick spool-up, which would be a great advantage for something like road racing or rally but of no real use for drag racing. I believe the harness is for the electronically controlled wastegate; that might be of interest with a switch or control on the dash; you could have a 2 way switch on a control marked "Safe Mode' and 'Will It Blow Up Mode'....LOL

The turbo does not care if the car is gas or diesel........LOL

We know that. The point is that typical diesels, IE the very diesel this turbo would have been on......operate at much much lower RPM than typical performance gasoline engines...........Less airflow

Maybe there isn't enough flow for a gas engine, did anyone think of that? :D

Thanks guys, so it looks like the slants might put it to use then.
Other than that it might be the best thing to put it on the Cummins forums for sale.
The guy it belongs to said he would be happy with 200 for it, but that would be after shipping of course (about 40 bucks)

The turbo does not care if the car is gas or diesel.... it only know to blow air in response to being driven with air. The usefulness would depend on the pressure/flow curve. As above, any low RPM, small to moderate displacement application should be able to use this turbo. The /6 would be a good candidate for low-mid RPM's but any larger displacement V8 would have too much WOT displacement for this to support. A 318/340 range engine would be better off normally aspirated than with this turbo, IMO; the same or more HP and no lag.

BTW, the max boost on this year is pretty good (high 20's). The advantage is in the quick spool-up, which would be a great advantage for something like road racing or rally but of no real use for drag racing. I believe the harness is for the electronically controlled wastegate; that might be of interest with a switch or control on the dash; you could have a 2 way switch on a control marked "Safe Mode' and 'Will It Blow Up Mode'....LOL

This makes sence, and after looking at it a little closer I beleive you are right about the poundage and the waste gate both. (from my research so far)
There is an electric motor assembly that goes on it with the pigtail, and it does indeed control the gate.

Thank you

The 05 holset has way to small of a exhaust housing to work with a v-8gas motor & will spool instantly & be a huge restriction on the exhaust by 3000 rpm & way too much boost. unless you used a friggen monster waste gate with it. what you need for a small v-8 is a whc1 from a 1st gen cummins that has the huge (for a diesel) 21cm tirbin housing then put the 60mm compresser wheel up grade in & that would be good for a hot 273/318.

put in on a Cummins forum. The 1st gen guys like those as upgrades to their wimpy H1Cs.

We know that. The point is that typical diesels, IE the very diesel this turbo would have been on......operate at much much lower RPM than typical performance gasoline engines...........Less airflow
Yeah...I know...I drive one.

For what littel it is worth, thinking about this last night, I'll change my mind on what I said about this turbo being quick...it may be quick for a truck turbo but still takes 1-2 seconds to spool up and produce any real boost from idle....I drive an '07 CTD as my main driver. This is not nearly as quick as some turbos like the 16G Super on my rally car.....that turbo is 'on' in less than 1 sec.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around spooling of a diesel vs gas given that diesels don't have throttles. Of course I realize the heat and pressure of the exhaust changes, but it just 'seems' like they would naturally spool faster.........................

Interesting point.....Think of the exhaust pressure and velocity; the net airflow in will be the same regardless (no throttle plate as you noted), but when you add fuel and ignite it, the exhaust obviously gets hot, expands, and has higher pressure and velocity. And, looking at it another way, with a hotter and hotter exhaust as more fuel is added and burned, there is more energy content in the exhasut flow to work with.

Kinda works the same with cams and turbos on gas engines. Long durations and overlaps are a no-no as it drops the velocity and pressure of the exhaust/exhaust pulses.

I suspect spool speed in this case has to do with turbine mass as much as anything. It is pretty darned large compared to the 16G Super I use on the Starion. And, the 16G Super has the the impeller fins customized for the quick spool up; dunno about this RAM turbo.

NM9s... yer turbo lights faster in your 07 CTD becouse it has vairible vane built into the exhaust turbin housing. to help it spool faster than the 9cm common rails,but able to breath in the upper rpm range reducing the drive psi once max boost level is reached. Wish it was easyer to make that work on old school 12v's!!

Interesting....thanks for the education!

I LMAO at your 'sniper dog' avatar! Looks like you woke him up too early that day... LOL

-
Back