What is this?

-

mopardug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got this with some parts. It looks like a Sure Grip of some sort, and in less than bolt in condition. Can it be rebuilt?
20180601_201824.jpg
20180601_201812.jpg
20180601_201807.jpg
20180601_201739.jpg
20180601_201743.jpg
20180601_201754.jpg
20180601_200801.jpg
20180601_200728.jpg
20180601_200714.jpg
20180601_200642.jpg

At 1st glance...Auburn limited slip

Blow it out with brake cleaner and compressed air, change the bearings and toss a ring gear on it. You never know unless you try it.

Take the 8 bolts outs evenly and see that the clutches look like.

As said above, take it apart, but, help me out here, which part had the "left hand" bolts, the "ring" or the "housing halves" ?

The unit does not have clutches. It has two threaded cones that lock into the inner case sides and that causes both axles to lock together, but still allows enough slippage to go around a turn. They are pretty good when in good condition. They are not rebuildable "by the book" but I have reworked hundreds through the years to make them work like new again. I just got through with one for a member here and he is sending me another.

The unit does not have clutches. It has two threaded cones that lock into the inner case sides and that causes both axles to lock together, but still allows enough slippage to go around a turn. They are pretty good when in good condition. They are not rebuildable "by the book" but I have reworked hundreds through the years to make them work like new again. I just got through with one for a member here and he is sending me another.

You charge a flat fee for that, or are you stabbin' a time clock?

It appears as if the cross shaft has spun in the case halves, If so it needs more than the cones cut down.

You charge a flat fee for that, or are you stabbin' a time clock?

It's a flat fee that includes return shipping, machining the cones, cleaning the unit and installing shims to bring the spring bias back up to par.

If it can be fixed, will this work in ANY 8 3/4 center section with any gear?

Just thought I'd mention that machining the cones down does work almost all the time but I ran into one unit that was wore so bad the cones and housing was scored terrible. Also seen the spider gear shaft lock onto the spider gears and spin and tear up the case so you can't always refurb them, just most of them. BTW your cones look good. Plenty there to machine. Still not sure on the spiders/shaft. Can't really tell enough from the pics on my end

What other pics would you need, want? You guys are helping me with this, so I want to give you all the info-pics that you want.

Are the spider gears stuck on the cross shaft? Is the pin in the cross shaft that goes in the carrier broke? Are the holes in the carrier for the cross shaft egg shaped? All bad things

-
Back