What is this?

-

Topless Shark

Reaction score
I am restoring the dash of my 1968 Barracuda, and this item is wired into the back of the guage cluster. On the end are the numbers 2820463 and 648.
This looks to me like a simple capacitor, or is it a voltage regulator? My wiring diagrams don't show either a voltage regulator or a capacitor on the Barracuda, but they do show a regulator on the Valiant. The car is to far disassembled to check the voltage, and I need to know whether I'm dealing with 5 volt or 12 volt guages.

Thanks
HH

Cuda (Small).jpg

I'm pretty sure that the guage panel voltage regulator, even for that year, was rectangular and plugged into the back of the panel or at least in 69-70-71 it was and they did. That item looks like a simple capacitor.

Terry

I found one of thouse under the dash of my 70 Dart. It was not connected to any thing so I just took it out. Still don't know what it is or what it does though.

Survey says...It's a capacitor! What it does, if it still works, by my best guess, would be to smooth out voltages headed to your gauges that take an electrical signal. If a gauge is voltage based, given how 'reliable' vintage voltage regulators are, the electical signal wouldn't be as smooth as one might see in a newer vehicle w/ a solid state regulator. Basically, it keeps your gauge needles from bouncing around. Not really necessary, but might be nice if you've got a messy electrical system, where your needles flop around like dying fish.

-
Back