what is YOUR definition of a TRUE survivor?

-
That truck nails survivor. Did you keep the original wheels?
No, it doesn't. That truck nails "street machine" or "classic". Paint oxidized to sheetmetal and rusty mirrors is not survivor.

If the paint and interior pass for new and have never been replaced, and only MINOR maintenance items have been updated with reasonably correct parts, it's probably a survivor.

Let's face facts, if it's over about 30,000 miles with 35+ years on the calendar, it is probably NOT a survivor because it's either all-original and in dire need of repair due to lack of maintenance, or it's been maintained and a lot of the original parts are gone. Keep the OE parts from when the maintenance was done (i.e. low miles)? Put 'em back on and I'd say it's a survivor if all other aspects (paint and interior) are unmolested. It takes an exceptional car to roll over that mileage and still be pristine.

If a car is 95% original, give it the survivor badge. A wreck and minor bodywork, but with all original tires, battery, plug wires, etc? Survivor.
Original body/interior is perfect but it's got 1987 dated belts and replacement headlight bulb? Survivor.
Same wreck and changed belts and wires? it's getting iffy, and I'd say not unless it's perfect elsewhere.
ANYTHING done to "restore" or "restify" or "rebuild" or "customize" means it's not a survivor. Surviving means it's survived the hack stuff that most of us do to our cars, too, you know...Not just surviving the wind and rain and sun and other drivers.

Speaking of original, wtf do people mean by "original miles"? As opposed to replacement miles? I don't get it.

I would say something that is sound was kept like it was of the sales lot that doesnt need a repair just perishables tires brakes etc. However my knuckles sweat and cussing would say anything that is still on the street instead of a junkyard after lots of work would be a true back from the dead survivor.

................To me a survivor is is still wearing its original paint.......can have its normal maintainence items replaced with oem parts...........kim.....

This 1969 Dodge truck with 3300 miles and the original air in the tires.

stuff56098.jpg

Was tagged in 1982 so he could move a welder. Prior to that it was tagged in 1969 for one year and made a trip or two to Yellowstone. Belongs the orig. owners son who has had it in that garage.

A true survivor is your opinion of your own vehicle or one that you perceive to be a survivor.All other survivors and opinions are false

My wife's a survivor, but she ain't wearin' her original paint.

Back on track, my '67 Cuda is a no rust California car with a very old repaint still lookin' nice.....lift the carpet, and the floors look factory new....Original seat covers with no rips........

I've always thought of her as a "survivor", but you guys are paintin' this subject black and white I guess.

I guess I'd like to think of the harshest definition here as a "Concours" survivor................my Cuda is just a plain ol' survivor in my book. Points are a royal pain, so she wears a Mopar electronic conversion....and instead of original tires and wheels she has Cragars and BF's...........

Does an old school repaint (probably to refresh the sun damage), a new ignition and new "shoes" really disqualify her as a survivor? I think that's a wee bit harsh guys. All numbers matching....even has the original Certicard under the hood.

BUT, I understand the debate........My opinion is that "survivor", since there are SO many variables due to simple age factors, should be judged on a "point" scale or percentage, just as if you were judging a "Concours" vehicle.

I put the original wheels and caps in storage.
I gave them to the guy that bought the truck off me after I wrecked it a couple of years ago.
I drove that truck for a daily driver for over 5yrs, black ice on an interstate bridge hit gaurd rail head on at 60 mph.

wreck4.jpg

Do you still have the truck? Hope you rebuilt it.

In 1984 my dad purchased a 1969 Dart Swinger 340. It still had the original copper paint with only minor parking lot dings. It had 44,000 miles on the odometer. Original #'s matching 340 and 727. Had replacement tires, belts, brakes, etc. but was 95% original. The interior has the original rubber floor mat in it (although someone had laid carpet over it). The upholstery had no tears or rips but did have some minor fading and the dash was cracked. Is it a survivor? To me it is.
~Michael

My barracuda when my grandparents parked it 30 years ago, last titled 1984 was driven right up to then, and before gave it to me. oe paint, interior was in pretty decent shape with the exception of the dash cracks and the vinyl top was in pretty decent shape, even though it's starting to go now probably from sitting all that time then coming back into the elements. Yes, the motor wasn't stock because it threw a rod (weird for a slant six), then the one my grandfather had water in it and he sold it back, so while technically the engine I got it with was the 3rd, I consider it the second engine. so I'd consider it a survivor before I got my hands on it. don't really care about part #s matching I just like it. I would consider mine, minus the engine, day 2 restored. Cragars, not stock radio (really old like mid 70s AM/FM, but came with the car, I intend to replace it eventually) and dual exhaust. So, street rod that needs some more TLC before I'm comfortable driving other places that are further away than 7 miles from my house. Some how I've still managed to put 1500 miles a year for the past two years on it though.

-
Back