What kind of heat for my garage?

-

mattsmopars

Reaction score
I am going to get me some type of heat in the garage for this winter. I was thinking about a reznor gas or l.p. style heater. Its a 30x30 with a 12 foot celing. What type of heat does everbody have? I am looking for a good type of heat so please let me know. Also what size heater do you think that i am needing? I was thinking about a 65,000 btu ,but i am not for sure.Let me know what you think.
Matt

I was in a guy's shop years ago that was heated by what looked like stove pipe weaving back and forth up near the ceiling. He said it had one lil gas burner in one end. The other end stuck through a wall to the outside.

Was real comfy in there

My shop is 60 x 40 and I'm just in the process of installing a 30 foot 87,000 BTU radiant heating system. I looked at a couple different types, but I like this one because it's quiet. No noisy fans kicking in when the burner lights up.
www.calcana.com

My shop is 60 x 40 and I'm just in the process of installing a 30 foot 87,000 BTU radiant heating system. I looked at a couple different types, but I like this one because it's quiet. No noisy fans kicking in when the burner lights up.
www.calcana.com

Those look cheap

Mine is small 22x25 plus I live in Alabama. I have a electric creamic heater (covers 725 square foot) It does ok.

www.calcana.comhttp://www.calcana.com

We had someting similar to those years ago in the shop where I worked. They put out alot of heat but you may need a ceiling fan just to stir the air.

A couple of my friends are using air to air heat pumps to heat up their garages here in Sweden, works very well, cheap and friendly to the environment.
You´ll be able to controll the humidity in the garage too.
I´m gonna get one too when my garage been isolated

I have a 25x26 uninsulated metal building that I heat with a 30,000 BTU propane heater. I only run the heater when I am out there working and it only takes about 20 minutes to get the air temp to a comfortable working level on 0 degree days. A 20 pound bottle of propane will last about (3) 6-8 hour days in the garage.

I have a 45 X 34 Garage and I heat it with in floor heat ...Tubing ran through the concrete... But its a bit later if your already built.. But an overhead infared tube with propane is a pretty cool way to heat.

I moved to Florida in 1978!!.

The hot water heater and the furnace sit right in front of the Dart.
There is a vent for heating and cooling the garage but I rarely open it.

I live within miles of two hydroelectric dams so electricity is relatively cheap. For my uninsulated 25x25 shop I installed a used electric furnace for $50.

If it's within your budget, I'd go for the Radiant tube heater like the link above.

You could probably get away with just using one unit. The tubes are generally ten feet long, so maybe two lengths and the burner and a little c-vent for the exhaust. You can exhaust it either through the side wall, or the roof, whichever will be easier for you. They even have a horseshoe shaped tube so that you can make a U-shaped system to cover two bays.

I've installed this system, and others like it, in dozens of locations and formats. They are quick to heat up, and economical to operate.

No special tools required.

I have been in a couple of shops up north and they used all different types of heat.

The in floor heaters were the best by far, but if your shop is already built then this one is kinda hard to do.

The infered ones are good as will the air is not all that warm but what it does is heat up the tools, car, bench.......etc. So this means that everything you touch is warm so it is kinda nice.

The last two where the roof mounted heaters one by natural gas, and another used wast oil. The wast oil one was cool though it needed to be cleaned out every couple of months, and if you don't have a supply of oil it makes it kinda tough to use.

To be honest it really starts with how much and when you use the garage. If you are out there almost daily then its well worth the time and money to do a radiant system. Not only are they generally the most efficient physics tells us that heat rises and cold decends so it provides warmth where wanted the most, from the ground up. If you use the garage a few hours during the week and then a little more on the weekends you will probably be better off going with something along the lines of what dgc333 has, a 30,000 BTU propane floor system. Regardless of what you go with Id suggest you pick up ceiling fans to get better distribution of the heat throughout the garage (even if they are garage sale find household type). Good luck and let us know what you go with!

I'm in the same boat. I need to figure out heat soon before it gets cold out. I had a quote for a Reznor Infrared tube heater and it was $1,200 installed.

Has anybody heard or used one of these Eden Pure infrared heaters? Sounds almost to good to be true.
http://www.edenpurestore.com/home

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for all of the replies fellows. I am not for sure what i am going with, but you all have good ideas. It is to late for the heat in the floor as the concrete is already poored. I need something that i can heat with a few hours on the week days and on weekends mostly. I have a friend that says go with a heat pump so i can have A/C in the summer as well, but if i had that i don't think i would work in the shop. I would probable get a tv and set and have a couple beer and watch the tube. LOL!

I had a regular house furnace installed overhead. It was converted to propane. And to supplement or to use on it's own I have one of those torpedo propane units powered off of a 100# bottle.

I have a homemade waste-oil burner, works awesome in my 24x32 un-insulated shop. uses about a gallon every hour, but waste oil is free and easy to burn.

Well , i may have a line on a lp heater from a guy here in town that bought a 115000 btu heater last fall. He bought it new last fall and wound up selling his garage and house. Its a little bigger than i need , but i think the price may be right. We will see.
Matt

-
Back