What kind of snake is this?

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
I don't know my snakes. Found this little guy dead in the outside basement stairwell. About 6 inches long. I'm on the east coast about an hour north of Baltimore.

20190824_172923.jpg

I don't believe that's a snake. It looks like a legless lizard.

After looking at 250 pics of legless lizards, I found none with the same markings. That garter snake pic looks almost identical.

Thanks gentlemans.... you two can decide if I just called you a name or not....:poke:

After looking at 250 pics of legless lizards, I found none with the same markings. That garter snake pic looks almost identical.

Thanks gentlemans.... you two can decide if I just called you a name or not....:poke:

I agree. It's markings are like the garter snake....which I believe it is now, but it's size and proportions look more like the legless lizard. It's just chubby, like @Alaskan_TA said. lol

I used to catch plains garter snakes and play with them when I was a kid...

Never saw one that fat....

They are harmless, as long as you have a tetanus shot you are good if they bite you... It just hurts as their teeth are sharp like small needles...

They are good to have in your garden, they keep bugs and spiders out...

Last edited:
I believe it's bloated some from being dead making it chubbier than it would've been alive.

It's a copper headed rattler moccasin. Your wife found it before you did....that's why it's dead! :p

That's what every snake in my area is if you listen to people tell their stories of barely missing death because of it..... A snake could be black as a Ace of spades and it's still a copper headed rattler mossasin.....

JW

It can't be a brown trouser snake - it's not lumpy like a lump fish...

I'm starting to think it is a king copper headed rattler mossasin cobra.....

It can't be a brown trouser snake - it's not lumpy like a lump fish...

I'm starting to think it is a king copper headed rattler mossasin cobra.....

I`m beginning to think u guys are full of ---------

-
Back