What Lubricant: Wheel Cylinder Pushrod?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
In one video a guys used vaseline, in another video the other guy used what looked like wheel bearing grease, and my '65 factory service manual does not mention the pushrods at all in the brake section (page 5-11).

wheel cylinder pushrod.jpeg

Nothing. Maybe a tiny dab of brake guide pin lubricant where it goes through the boot. That same lubricant can be used where shoes rub backing plates but thats it. Oh, and the adjuster needs lubricant also. I have never seen anything on those push rods ever. Occasionally i have seen something inside on pistons, but rarely. Absolutely no petroleum products in any brake components. Silicone/teflon base is ok.

I have always used white lithium break grease. Don't need much.

Dry, they don’t need anything.

and I second the idea of no petroleum products on brakes.

Nothing, You don't want to contaminate it at all.
Is it going to rust? I live in N.E. Ohio and they never really corrode
even with all the salt and water we have.

Only reason you need any lube is where it plugs into the wheel cylinder cover. Thats just to make it easier to seat it. Hell you can use KY jelly! You know what that stands for right? KEEP YELLING!

Only reason you need any lube is where it plugs into the wheel cylinder cover. Thats just to make it easier to seat it. Hell you can use KY jelly! You know what that stands for right? KEEP YELLING!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Spooky, Mopar Tim just posted this on the coffee shop thread a few min. ago. Sorry to sidetrack the thread but this is funny!

lube.jpg

Nothing, You don't want to contaminate it at all.
Is it going to rust? I live in N.E. Ohio and they never really corrode
even with all the salt and water we have.

Contaminate what? Are you trying to say it will contaminate the brake fluid? The wheel cylinders have seals behind the cylinder pistons. The brake grease will not contaminate anything. The cylinder pins need lubrication where they slide over the brake shoes metal to metal. That reduces wear and keeps them quiet. I honestly cannot see why anyone would argue that point.

Contaminate what? Are you trying to say it will contaminate the brake fluid? The wheel cylinders have seals behind the cylinder pistons. The brake grease will not contaminate anything. The cylinder pins need lubrication where they slide over the brake shoes metal to metal. That reduces wear and keeps them quiet. I honestly cannot see why anyone would argue that point.

I have seen many wheel cyl boots swelled up from being contaminated with who knows what, something someone put on there. There is no lubricant needed between pins and shoes, they don't wear or make noise, even the shoes to backing plates if you keep them adjusted. They only make noise if they are way out of adjustment.

I have seen many wheel cyl boots swelled up from being contaminated with who knows what, something someone put on there. There is no lubricant needed between pins and shoes, they don't wear or make noise, even the shoes to backing plates if you keep them adjusted. They only make noise if they are way out of adjustment.

What I posted is bonified brake grease and not a petroleum product.

I recently bought some 'rubber grease'. It is used in caliper/piston assembly. Completely compatible with brake fluid.

Exactly! There are some that are. I just don't get all the hooplah.

Rubber swells when someone puts something like transfluid on it.
Ask Jiffy Lube how many complete brake overhauls they have paid for because their Grease Jockey put the wrong fluid in the Master Cylinder.

Ask Jiffy Lube how many complete brake overhauls they have paid for because their Grease Jockey put the wrong fluid in the Master Cylinder.

So who said anything about transmission fluid?

Car owners do it too. One guy realized what he did on is duramax, and popped the resevoir and drained it right on the spot,refilled with brake fluid and brought it straight to me. I dismounted the calipers and pushed all the pistons in. Then sucked out resevoir and then removed it and washed it out.
He got lucky.

other guy not so much, polluted entire system. Screwed it all up. Poured in power steering fluid.

In 1974 I sold a guy a can of K&W block sealer, which he proceeded to pour in his crank case. Didn’t bother to read the instructions. Bye bye 289 Ford.

In 1974 I sold a guy a can of K&W block sealer, which he proceeded to pour in his crank case. Didn’t bother to read the instructions. Bye bye 289 Ford.
That stuff is ceramic,may as well have poured in a couple cups of sand.

That stuff is ceramic,may as well have poured in a couple cups of sand.
Yeah it’s goes to show you that you can’t assume anything. I felt bad, he was a super nice guy. After that I made it a point to make sure people knew a little about the product they were buying.

-
Back