What part is this called?

-

1970Dart198

Reaction score
Hello FABO!

Its been a long time since being on this forum, I got the Dart out of storage and had her purring nicely. I seem to be having intermittent electrical issues, where I go to turn the key to fire up the engine and "click!" all the lights (dome, radio, etc) turn off. I try to turn the key and nothing! Oddly enough I jiggle some wires around by the starter and starter relay, the the engine cranks over again!

There is no clicking from the starter, just a electrically dead car. This happens sometimes, especially after sitting for a while.

To get to the part about the part. I was checking my coil and pertronix, just to check everything's in working order, and I see this small black cylinder next to the coil that I neglected and just connected when installing the pertronix coil. I'll attach a photo. What is the name of this part? And what affect does it have on the ignition? Mine looks melted on the side, and wrapping electrical tape around it just melted it off.

As we all know, chasing electrical issues is a nightmare, but its fun to get these engines running in top condition.

Thank you!

1970Dart198

20160627_141640.jpg

try unpluging the wires to the firewall inspect then plug back in I had to do that when my wife challenger sat to long.

Condenser to eliminate radio static from the ignition. It's not necessary for it to be connected for the engine to run. I would test the starter solenoid first (if it's old) and if that doesn't do it, then test out the ignition switch itself.

Also, are you running the ignition ballast resistor? If not, you are running 12v to the coil all of the time and it will greatly reduce its life.

Radio noise suppression capacitor (condenser)

That should not be causing your "no crank" condition

Very first thing I'd do is remove the battery post clamps and CLEAN them and the battery posts. Then go over "main" connections such as the wire leading to/ from the starter relay. Also, from the starter relay stud, the main power feeding into the interior, through the bulkhead, goes from the relay stud, through a fuse link, and into the bulkhead connector, big fat red wire. Check that and the bulkhead connector. You will have to separate the connector parts and inspect the terminals.

Sounds great! I was thinking that, the previous owner omitted the fusible link where that big red fat wire comes from, and the plastic holding all of the firewall connectors looks old, but everything is still there! I heard those things can blow on you and ruin your afternoon. I installed the pertronix kit, which calls for a disconnection of the ballast resistor and to run the two wires together which I did.

I also installed a carbsonly electric choke conversion kit off of the key on (+) side of the ballast resistor wires I put together.

I suspected the ignition switch on the steering column could also be it. I'll check the other parts before I dive into the ignition switch in the column.

Where can I find a new Radio Noise Suppression Capacitor? I have a pertronix Ignitor coil installed.

Thank you for all of your help!

All these are good suggestions.....I had the same problem intermittently and it was the starter relay....Changed it and never had that problem again.....Don't forget if your linkage isn't adjusted right the NSS isn't sensing park or neutral it won't crank.......The NSS ties in with the starter relay.....A quick and easy check to see if that is the problem ( when you have the no crank condition) just run a wire from the negative battery terminal to that post on the starter relay and just tap the key.......If it cranks, it is a bad NSS or linkage not adjusted properly......DO NOT LEAVE THAT JUMPER WIRE ON as car will start in gear and someone or something could get hurt

-
Back