What radiator are you using for your hemi swap?

-

Uhcoog1

Reaction score
What radiator are you using for your hemi swap?

I've got a factory 26" radiator (was a 318 w/AC), and I was going to "upgrade" to an aluminum radiator with both necks on the passenger side. So far, I'm not liking my options.

Factory radiator: 26x18x2" cooling area, 29.125"x2.5"x23.75" outer dimensions. Bolts at 28" apart.

Aftermarket options:
Griffin 8-00038-LS - $275
22.5x18.6x2.75 cooling area, 26.5x18.5x3" outer dimensions. The hose connections are 1 1/4 & 1 1/2. I believe the Hemi is 1 3/4 on both? 1 1/4" tube size.

AFCO 80101NDP - $235
22.5x18.5x3", 27.5x20x3" outer dimensions. connections are 1 1/2 & 1 3/4. 1" tube size.

Griffin Custom radiator - $569
Will match the height and width of my 26" factory radiator. This is the way the rep was pushing me on the phone.

Griffin 1-58242-X - $312
22.5x19x2.5, 27.5x19x2.5 outer dimensions. connections are 1 1/2 & 1 3/4. 1.25" tube size. Rated to 600 hp.

Does anyone know if the mounting bolts are different for the factory 22" vs 26"? I'm trying to establish if the Griffin LS radiator will mount up for me. Further, does anyone know if Griffin has attached an HP rating to their Dominator radiator series (which is what the bolt on radiator is)?

Further, I don't want to spend more than $250 on a radiator. But, I'll be road racing my Duster, so I need a good radiator. My factory 26" radiator did fine with my street/strip 408, but I was assuming it wouldn't hold up to 20 minute road racing sessions.

The 5.7 is 11:1 forged .020 over, 223/227 on a 113, heads that flow ~360, 6.1 intake, etc. I have a TKO 600 behind it. We're looking for 500 crank hp.

Does anyone have any other radiator options out there? I'd love to hear what ya'll have done. And does anyone have a connection for a reasonably priced custom radiator?

Try Northern Radiator, that is where I got mine.

Afco and It works outstanding--no cooling issues--2 yrs now-4800 miles on conversion and everything is outstanding not to mention that the black magic fan fits perfect and acts just like a shroud--Steve--Got it from Indy cyl head for $200.00 At Mopar nats

Tincup-

Did you special order or get something off the shelf? What did it run you?

Thanks!

I run Ron Davis Radiators. He can make anything you want to cool just about any HP rating you require.

Southernman

Attachments

• Radiator Pic-1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 900
  • Radiator Pic-2.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 843
Tin Cup- Is your radiator From Northern Radiator with P/N 205199? If so, where did you get it? My local source for that particular radiator wants 608.00 +Tax + Shipping. OUCH!

Southern Man- Your radiator looks awesome, it looks bigger than some I've seen cool a V-12 Diesel.

Swifter- Got a P/N for that particular radiator by any chance?

Thanks,

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Lol, you guys are funny, but I seem to get the same comments from others.

Actually, I was looking for a radiator that would cool up to a 1000 HP Barton Hemi, which is what's going in my next hotrod. The engine with single carb makes 800+ HP and it's got more "potential" should I decide to tap it. I'm feelin' that's sufficient HP to handle most of the Shivvy boys around here...

At the end of the day, if you want a state-of-the-art radiator, Ron Davis can make one for your rod too, but, as you noted, they ain't cheap.

Here's a couple shots of the engine.

Southernman

Attachments

• Engine-2.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 863
  • Engine-3.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 837
Ron Davis is local for me and when I asked about a custom radiator the price started at 1300 so I passed.

Tincup-

Did you special order or get something off the shelf? What did it run you?

Thanks!

Tin Cup- Is your radiator From Northern Radiator with P/N 205199? If so, where did you get it? My local source for that particular radiator wants 608.00 +Tax + Shipping. OUCH!

Southern Man- Your radiator looks awesome, it looks bigger than some I've seen cool a V-12 Diesel.

Swifter- Got a P/N for that particular radiator by any chance?

Thanks,

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I designed my own rad and had Northern fab it up, unfortunately It wasn't cheap, but is was a perfect fit. Rad + Fan + shroud = $800

Attachments

• Radiator.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 797
Is that a carburetor or a popcorn machine HOLY GEEBERS--Looks like that one could suck a bird in it and spit it out!!!!!!! that's called having a case of HEMIITIS SWEET

I guess $1500.00 for a radiator isn't a bad deal if it will keep a $20,000 hemi from over heating.

Has anyone used their rads? I was talking to them today and they strongly suggested opening up the rad support for a 26" rad. yes they could build a 22" rad but it would be very thick and have big fans.

I will be installing a 6.1L SRT8 - which will probably make 475-500HP with 90mm TB and headers, plus I will be installing air conditioning which makes cooling even harder.
1969 Barracuda convertible

Try champion radiators. I got mine for around $260 with eletric fans shipped to my door.

I emailed with Geoff at Champion, and didn't see his email before I bought the radiator I did. But, he said he does have a 26" radiator with both inlet and outlet on the correct side. His ebay prices are some of the best, and it looks like quality work. I don't have prices, but I'm guessing $200-$300.
www.championradiators.com

Here's what I went with:
radiator.jpg

It's a 4" thick C&R. I'll have to modify it to make it work, but it should be a good fit (width and height), and came out of a nascar. For what I plan on doing in Texas with this car, it should be a good fit. I also picked up a Lincoln Mark 8 fan.

I plan on using the stock one from the donor car I got the motor from. Looks like it will drop right in. 07 hemi charger into 73 cuda.

-
Back