What Rear do I have?

-

Tacfire11

Strike Hard, Strike Deep
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone might be able to tell me from the picture what Rear Dif I have in my 68' Dart. It's a 225 /6, so I'm suspecting it's a 7 1/4, but would like to defer to the experts here.

Picture005.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Thanks....

Pat

its a DANA 60...

no j/k heres a chart for future reference when buying a new one or just for your usage!

but so you know your rear is a 7.25 since its behind a S6 and the fact that it has nine bolts.. and just because it lookes small!

the 8.25 has ten bolts is an inch bigger in carrier and half in bigger tubes
and comes behind some V8's

Anyway heres the diagram!

Good luck

moparaxle.jpg

Thanks, great info... Don't know if you could advise, but do you think this would hold together with a 360 in front of it?

Thanks....

Pat

HAHAHAHA NO!!!!!
Mine grenaded itself the second I installed a 4bbl and exahust on the old 318 that used to be in my car.
Get an 8 1/4 they are good for up to 500hp or get a 8 3/4 if you have the cash

I don't know about it not handling it. I have been abusing mine for 8 years now with a 318 4 speed. Haven't had any problems with it yet. But i did pick up a 8 3/4 for it. Now just need to find the time to switch it out. But I would say with a 360 you should go at least to a 8 1/4 as said before.

Im personally building a 360+727.. i changed my 7.25 a LONG time ago.. didnt want need or think i wanted the exspence when i finnally drop my 360 in and find out it wont handle.. 7.25's came behind S6's and some V8's most likely 273 and 318's even a stock 360 is way too much for a weeny 7.25

i suggest you trade it out for a larger rear.. your best option is a 8.75, but try to find one! your best option is a 8.25 like i have and make it right for you.
im going to run a set of 3.55 posi

mild 360+2300 stall 727

and to answer your question. NO it wont hold up. and i say that with your wallet in mind. because if your going to take out your stock motor which isnt going to be a 360 and thro a 360 in because its bigger, i bet your going to drive it harder and hense.. you need a stronger rear to keep up!

its like dropping a Big Block in a abody.. you have to change the brakes to accomdate the added weight let alone the HP! :headbang:

Cerwin

Really appreciate all the advice. I'm swapping the brakes from the 9" drums to 74' Disc spindles, and looking at either a Wilwood or Baer 11" kit, since the vehicles doesn't have Power Brakes.

-
Back