What size hole to drill

-

NodakDuster

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install my floor pan Monday. So far I have drilled a 9/64 hole in all the places I want to spot weld. I am using a wirefeed welder to do the spot welds. Should I open the holes up in the pan larger? If so what size do you recommend?

5/16 to 3/8". Make sure the parts are clamped or screwed together tightly. If you are Mig welding the spots, start the arc beside the hole then drag it into the hole.

Approximately how far apart would you place the screws? I would presume only a few are needed to keep it from shifting. Thanks for the help!

How many screws depends on how well the panels fit together.
You want it pulled tight with no gaps. You can weld up the screw holes once the panels are welded.

I usually do 5/16 holes for spot welds. I set a cinder block on mine and it pulled most of it down tight. A little hammering got the rest in place.

Thanks guys! I am using AMD floor pans and I have to say they fit like a glove. We were very careful when removing the old floor so about 90% of the frame is touching. I shouldn't need too much coercing with the rest. Tomorrow I am finishing clamping it in place and Monday a friend of mine is coming over to weld it.

-
Back