What to do with my gas tank?

-

Ruger64

Reaction score
I just got my new gas tank. And realized my original one that I pulled out, has some type of felt strips or something on top.
I guess that keeps it from the tank and bottom of the trunk being metal to metal?
What can I use? I have rubber. But won't rubber trap moisture? I was hoping to install it tomorrow. I am worried about it now.

I plan on using the HVAC foil back sound deadener material, taped around the perimeter when I get my tank installed tight to the floor. If you paint the top of your tank with a healthy coat of rustoleum undercoating, that would work too.

Enjoy!

You should be able to remove the original and reglue it to your new one. Take your time with a putty knife and peel it off.

A piece of heavy felt paper will work. You will have to slice it where it drops down around the tire well to conform.

You should be able to remove the original and reglue it to your new one. Take your time with a putty knife and peel it off.

I tried, it would not come off. I was hoping it would, then use spray adhesive.

A piece of heavy felt paper will work. You will have to slice it where it drops down around the tire well to conform.

Do you think like a craft store? I have never seen felt paper anywhere.I guess if I put it up there metal to metal, thats a bad thing...right?

Do you think like a craft store? I have never seen felt paper anywhere.I guess if I put it up there metal to metal, thats a bad thing...right?

I'm talking tar paper used in roofing. I would certainly want something between the two.

You can get felt at a fabric (sewing) store. Be sure to put a ground strap on or your fuel gauge may not work. New gaskets for the sending unit / pick up are still available from your local Chrysler dealer if you need one. The factory ground strap just clipped onto the fuel outlet from the tank, and also onto the fuel line on the body (over the rubber flex hose joining the two) A piece of wire and two small hose clamps are a good substitute.

You can get felt at a fabric (sewing) store. Be sure to put a ground strap on or your fuel gauge may not work. New gaskets for the sending unit / pick up are still available from your local Chrysler dealer if you need one. The factory ground strap just clipped onto the fuel outlet from the tank, and also onto the fuel line on the body (over the rubber flex hose joining the two) A piece of wire and two small hose clamps are a good substitute.

Maybe I should take to trip with my wife to the fabric store that way she will pay for it..LOL
I have the new gasket, and new sending unit. I used a wire from the sending unit to the fuel line. But thats the only ground I saw?

That's all you need. If you have a piece of tar paper AKA felt paper use that, it won't hold moisture.

I see the original was cut into strips. Is there a certain glue I can use?
I am going to paint the tank with two coats of black rustoleum.

Man... I battled with that one as well. Read articles, threads, asked people etc.
Tar paper vs foam rubber? People said the tar paper doesnt hold moisture but the foam rubber is more of a buffer between tank and body.
I dont know which is "best" but I went with the foam rubber. I figured what little moisture could possibly get between there would eventually dry no matter what material you use (I dont take it out in rain). I took a hose to the piece I bought and the water rolled right off it.
JMO.
Heres a pic of my gastank. And the pad I used was purchased off Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-69-Cuda-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e74b6131c&vxp=mtr

If youre gonna use the tar paper type- definitely stop by a roofing co. and ask them for a pc of leftover thick/hvy grade tarpaper/felt roofdeck material. Dont pay $20 for it. I think you can buy a whole roll of #30 for $20.

Attachments

• trunkpad.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 510
  • gastankpad.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 503
What type of adhesive do you use to stick the tar paper to the tank?

3M spray super 77 is great for sticking anything.
Available at NAPA and most craft/fabric/hobby shop stores.
It is cheap under $10.00 a can.

Not to hijack, just a quick question. I just put a new tank in my 66 Sat, there was nothing there ( but PO had pulled tank to try and drain the rust LOL) So I didn't think to put anything there. (cause I didn't see anything) Is this a saftey issue, or just a vibration issue?

3M spray super 77 is great for sticking anything.
Available at NAPA and most craft/fabric/hobby shop stores.
It is cheap under $10.00 a can.

Thanks very much. I will drop by napa tomorrow. Much appreciated.

Not to hijack, just a quick question. I just put a new tank in my 66 Sat, there was nothing there ( but PO had pulled tank to try and drain the rust LOL) So I didn't think to put anything there. (cause I didn't see anything) Is this a saftey issue, or just a vibration issue?

I dont know the exact reason. However...factory had a pad between the top of the tabk and body.

Most of the foam weather stripping is now closed cell foam and won't hold water like a sponge. You could also get some wide foam weather stripping (get a roll from home depot) and stick it on, may need 2 side by side...

The only reason for this tank pad is to stop noise and prevent squeeks. I restored a 1960 Chevy Impala many years ago and the original tank had a similar pad to the ones on our Mopars. I didn't reinstall the tank pad when I installed the gas tank, and it made noise especially when the tank was close to full. I guess the tank straps don't apply enough pressure to keep the tank tight to the car, and it can move slightly. The added weight of the full tank made matters worse, and I had to remove the tank and install the pad. We all know metal to metal movement is not a good thing.

On my current 69 Dart, I used a thin (aprox 1/8" maybe?) piece of fabric that was bonded to rubber underlayment, similar to what a door mat would look like in a store. Rubber on the botton with a fabric-like top to wipe your feet on. I cut it out using the original pad as a template, and used a spray adhesive to hold it in place. The spray glue is only needed to hold the pad in place until the tank is installed in the car. The glue doesn't have to last a lifetime as the installed position of the car/pad/tank will keep it in place. My currect car is a street/strip car so I didn't care about it being factory. If you are concerned about it, reproduction pieces are available, but keep in mind this part, as installed, will be impossible to see.

Good Luck with your project! I hope this helps someone.

George

Good post George!!!
I put my tarpaper on. I hope one layer is okay? I cut it like factory. Came out great.
One thing is for sure. As stated above. For me to uae 3m super 77 adhesive. WOW!!! That stuff is amazing!!! And sticks very well!!!

The felt paper on my 65 Dart was too bad so tossed it. You can buy repros for $$$. I just use a few strips of closed cell foam w/ weatherstrip cement. I don't want anything holding water up there anyway. My brother rusted the top of his 73 Duster tank when he spilled water in the trunk and it sat on the depression there. That was in FL where stuff never dries.

-
Back