What to do with vapor lines when running a holley 390 on a cliffford intake ?

-

unclebear

Reaction score
The orignal lines are rusted out.
Should I install a charcoal cannister with both vapor lines to vent the gas tank ? Seems to me this is what I need to do .
Any thoughts or advice ?
PS
The air pump and lean burn are long gone.

That's a bit of a toughie any more, as Chrysler 4713551 and Standard CP3167 are disco'd. I'm looking at this one and suspecting it'd do fine, and it would also be a lot easier to mount than the original round kind. No separate bracket required, and its flat-pack design would take up less room. Tough to beat the price, too. I have no experience with this canister, so I'm guessing, but my guess is that the single large-diameter connection is in from tank vent line, the large-diameter connection next to the small one is out to engine, and the small one is purge control. Could figure out if that's correct with a couple moments' experimentation—if applying vacuum to the small port opens the big port next to it, then my guess is right. Otherwise, shouldn't be too hard to find a vacuum diagram for the relevant vehicle and see for yourself.

If my guess is correct, and I were installing this, I would tee the carb bowl vent (if it's a ported vent) into the hose connecting the tank vent to the canister inlet, and tee the small canister port into the vacuum advance line so it only sees vacuum above idle.

Modify instructions as necessary—if that's not a built-in purge valve on the canister, use a separate purge valve as described in the linked article, and cap off unused ports on the canister.

-
Back