What to look for? 67-69 Barracuda

-

BB73Challenger

Reaction score
As I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing about, I'm looking at 67-69 Barracudas and was curious if there is a "must check" list for these 2nd gen Cuda's?
Also, one I will be going to see is a convertible, and I'm going in somewhat blind as to what to look for on the 'verts.
I have owned YJ Jeeps (Wrangler) with the soft top, but other than that I've never had a convertible.
So, any advice on what to look for on these tops?

I'm one of those fortunate rust belt guys, so obviously looking for rot or bad re-pair goes without saying, obviously uni-structure cars should be as "sound" as possible.
Besides checking floors, trunk, frame rails, torsion bar mounts, rocker sills things of this nature is there other areas of concern?

Also, "numbers matching" is not important to my search, but are there things to consider?

Electrical gremlins? Switches, gauges, things of this nature.

Thanks again in advance, and just give me a swift kick in the pants if I'm missing something!

sounds like you have a lot of it covered. not only looking for rot, but rot repair and if done properly. is the hard to find/expensive convt window trim. do the gauges work v-reg in fuel gauge. I think they all have electrical gremlins to some extent. year makes a difference 67-8 grilles are common while 69 are not. 8 3/4 rear? V8 from factory...

My biggest concern with a convertible would draw me right to the area under the convertible top well, under the rear seat, and the outer rear wheel tub. You see, the big idea they had was to allow the water to run down the rear of the top and into a channel up under where the rear of the top is fastened to the body. The water was then "supposed" to run down the channel and drain out inside the cavity between the quarter skin and the inner substructure and out the bottom of the rocker. All it really did was end up trapping the water inside the car and rusting them out in this area. You gotta remember that these were not collector cars back when and were driven rain or snow!!

You know, they all have the typical problem areas, but convertibles have a little more problem areas that most!! Heres a pic of my daughter Nella's 67 Cuda, the pride of her fleet!!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_0821.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 245
Thank you all!

My goal exactly is to find a decent body, and sounds like to make sure the trim, grill is in good shape.
Again thanks for the heads up on the 'vert areas Geof, Nella's got one sweet fish there!

The 'vert I'm going to see is a '68 318 factory air 904 trans. with column shift bench seat. Not sure if a "numbers" car or if a factory V-8
Going to pry more info on rear and some other specs. Just got some pics yesterday.
I would imagine a stout V-8 is going to destroy a 7-1/4 rear if abused, huh?
This particular 318 is only the 2 barrel variety, looking pretty factory.

Also going to see a '68 fastback, painted roller with LOTS of parts. I don't have a truck or trailer - that one is intriguing but I have some "logistics" to work out with that.

The search is on!

I know 68formula340 ^^^^^ had his 68 fastback for sale for awhile.Maybe you could PM him to see if still for sale.Clean car,340 4 speed...money talks!Good luck,some really nice cars still out there.:coffee2:

I haven't took time to count them but I really dont think a 67 has any more one year only parts than a 68 or 69.

Things that are different between 67 Barracuda and 68-69 Barracuda (not counting normal model year trim changes, or 68-up safety & emissions equipment):

K-member
Idler arm
Front windshield gasket & trim
Back window gasket & trim
Gas tank & strap
Engine choices
Exhaust tailpipe choices (rear valance cutouts)
Bucket seats (67 = no latch, metal back)

I'm sure I missed some.

The only really important ones are the idler arm (expensive and vulnerable), and the window trim (not relevant to a convertible, which has a different windshield trim altogether.)

On the other hand, the 67 is the easiest to find, and the best looking ;-)

-
Back