What Wire Covering?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
What type of wire loom or tape do you use for your wire harnesses? The wiring in my engine bay is finally done and now I need to cover it. I never liked the look of that plastic convoluted covering and regular electrical tape just makes a mess.

What do you guys suggest?

The original was wrapped in black tape .
So ... you could do that or use the spiral wrap or your hated the convoluted covering.
The one advantage of the convoluted is you can easily access the wires. Besides it comes in colors other then black and in chrome.

Or you could hide the under hood wiring in plastic conduit in the wheel well.

I used the split wire loom. It costs too much at part stores so a lot of what I used came from bone yards. This too requires some tape at ends and tape outs where it changing sizes, smaller for single wire out to temp' sender for example.
I did buy some new loom and new fasteners.
Where the factory had straps using 2 holes going toward the battery, I had added some wiring in upgrades so I have 2 runs of the split loom using both rows of holes at loom fasteners.
The factory trunk harness has some plastic thingies that attach to metal tangs. Since 1 of 2 tangs at both locations along my right valve cover were broken off, those plastic fasteners from a trunk harness worked with the split loom there. All turned out quite nice in my opinion.

Summit has some pretty nice braided split loom, looks way better than the plastic stuff, it's available in various sizes, I like it alot, needs no tape either

I have not bought any in years but there is a black cloth type auto tape ..... it sticks to itself. NOT electric tape as that comes apart with heat of engine compartment and heat in general.

Not the neatest wiring job in the world, but this is what it looks like

20170424_105319.jpg

Guys, the trick to using electrical tape is to do the same thing the factory did.

Use electrical tape that has NO adhesive on it.

Wrapped tightly with a half knot on the loose end gives you an oem look and durability, without the gooey Bullshit, because that's how the factory did it!

I think my last roll came from Eastwood but that was years ago. I don't use regular e tape for anything I care about; I hate that crap. I think most harness people could tell you where to get it.

I don't like the convoluted stuff but I have used it, as did mother Mopar on some later applications. I don't like the braided stuff, I can't access the harness for repairs and mods. I just cut the e tape off and replace it with what was there to begin with. It's the least of the evils, imo.

STAY AWAY from the self - vulcanising tape that bonds to itself. Neat stuff but breaks down very quickly in the elements. The tar cloth tape is really good, but if you have a cheap source for it, please share!

Last edited:
If your wiring is really done, I would tape it up. Near the end of the loom, just put a heat shrinkwrap over the tape to prevent it from coming loose.

But if it's like mine, where you'll be adding or rerouting a few wires once in a while (Megasquirt), it's way easier to be able to add/remove wires from the loom easily, so I used a split/slit harness for the time being, like this;
Slit Harness Wrap | Wire Bundle Wrap - CableOrganizer.com

Although, on a daily driven car, I don't really like it when the wire harness cover is 'open'. Dirt and grime will find its way inside and make everything appear black over time.

I got some cloth like wire wrap tape from harbor freight.

I just finished building a hot rod for my daughter and I used those twist tie thingies that come on loaves of bread, new electrical cords or new rolls of wires. I use the twist ties to hold all the wires in place as I decide what to add to the bundle. The cars been running for a good 6 months with the twist ties and I just added a time/temp delay for the trans cooler fan. The twist ties made it super easy to add another wire to the bundle. I'm pretty sure that I won't need to add any more wires so I'll be wrapping everything with the linerless tape pretty soon!!
DSC07482.JPG
DSC07483.JPG
DSC07484.JPG
DSC07485.JPG
DSC07486.JPG
DSC07487.JPG
DSC07488.JPG
DSC07489.JPG

I know ....I know....it's not a Mopar, but if you look in the background you'll see my Barracuda......OooooHHhhh BAR-RA-CUDA!!!!

Treblig

Year One sells the original style wrap under the part no. HWRAP

Too late now, but for those working w/ bare wires before adding terminals, I like smooth PVC sheath (SPC Technology, Alpha, ...). I have used at work and my 1980's M-B cars used it for both wires and vacuum tubing. It is easy to keep clean. Photo shows the alternator in my 65 Dart 273, using both smooth and split-loom. Note that I located the Vreg near the alternator instead of on the firewall. The alternator output cable is from a V-8 Magnum engine and runs across the timing cover. Harbor Freight sells rolls of split-loom cheap, in different sizes. My 2002 Chrysler uses mesh w/ Velcro closure, so easy to open and inspect. For an aerospace look, get plastic mesh. It opens wide (like a Chinese finger trap) to run wires w/ terminals thru. Downside is it gets gunky. Perhaps better used under-dash. All these can be found on ebay, or check Newark or Digi-key where engineers shop.

alternator wiring.JPG

I just finished building a hot rod for my daughter and I used those twist tie thingies that come on loaves of bread, new electrical cords or new rolls of wires. I use the twist ties to hold all the wires in place as I decide what to add to the bundle. The cars been running for a good 6 months with the twist ties and I just added a time/temp delay for the trans cooler fan. The twist ties made it super easy to add another wire to the bundle. I'm pretty sure that I won't need to add any more wires so I'll be wrapping everything with the linerless tape pretty soon!!
View attachment 1715041451 View attachment 1715041452 View attachment 1715041453 View attachment 1715041454 View attachment 1715041455 View attachment 1715041456 View attachment 1715041457 View attachment 1715041458

I know ....I know....it's not a Mopar, but if you look in the background you'll see my Barracuda......OooooHHhhh BAR-RA-CUDA!!!!

Treblig
Good looking Studebaker, I `d drive it ! The braided , black wire tubing looks best in my opinion, got it all over my car.

I had a pretty good engine fire last year and it started electrically at the throttle cable rubbing through the wires long story short the electrical wrap on the car was a fuse so I am very particular what goes over wire now, I found "racers" tape that looks semi cloth like and is seriously fire resistant, that is all I will use now.

I will never ever use anything else. Linerless electrical tape!!

How to do a Basic Wire Splice

Treblig

I decided to give that linerless tape a try since I could pick it up locally for cheap. That stuff works very well. Time will tell how it holds up. So far, I've done the branch that goes from the bulkhead connector to the starter relay and relay panel under my battery. Now, I just have to do the branch the goes to the passenger side of the engine bay. The key, as I learned, is to keep pulling it as you wrap it to keep it tight.

First picture is the before. Second is the after, obviously. Thanks again for the ideas, guys.

Picture0407172055_1.jpg

Picture0429172000_1.jpg

Summit has some pretty nice braided split loom, looks way better than the plastic stuff, it's available in various sizes, I like it alot, needs no tape either

Yup. It's not expensive and you have some colors too.

Also, for end of braided loom or to wrap wires/connections I use DEI quick fix tape. https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/dei-010491/overview/ Or equivalent.

Sticks well to itself, high temp and water resistant. Was developed for Army. Can even use to make a belt in emergency.

I also use it to wrap and protect wires, hoses or lines that may rub at certain points. Just extra insurance.

-
Back