What would you do?

-

'68-340-S

Reaction score
I've been toying around with differant ideas for my '73 340. what would you do if it was yours?
Heres the spect that won't change.:
'73 340 std bore block
'69 340 10.5:1 pistons w/ rods
J heads 2.02's
windage tray
double roller timing set
Currantly it has an Edelbrok performer intake ( been ported and leaned up)
also has 360 ( small valve heads ported and ploished ( those have to go), It has a '70 something truck cam in it, I have a performer cam ( to match the intake ).
This will sooner or later go into an "A" body with a 4spd.... unknown what year or boy at this time.
What would you do to get the most HP out of it while still running on pump gas and keeping a some what stock ( 68-69) look to it. I will go with total sealed / gapless rings and ARP bolts through out. but what options can you guys/ girls come up with?

I copied this build up for my dad's 68 barracuda convert and I am VERY pleased with the outcome..... The car has great street maners, runs on pump gas, and pulls hard to 6K rpms. If I were going to build a stockish 340, I would do this again in a heart beat.

http://compcams.com/Community/Articl...?ID=-738676943

You already have the short block and heads to do this build. Get rid of the performer for a performer RPM and then add the XE268, headers and a good 750 CFM carb and you have it!!!!!

Do you already have these parts? Are they new, or used?

The only parts I don't have are the rings, and ARP bolts. I have a brand new 770 Holley street avenger carb in the box, The Performer cam and lifters are new in the box, the dbl. roller timing set is new in the package, I also have a new Blue streak cap/rotor, reman electronic dist., MSD super conductor wire set. I need to go through the J heads, the intake is used but in great shape. At some point i'll need to pick up a pulley and braket set up ( it will be a stock set up for use with the later alum, water pump ).

Has the block been machined?

I wouldnt use the pistons, the cam kit, or the carb. But if you have the stuff and it's ready to be put together, and no cash....

That carb and intake wont look stock. No reason to get a set of J heads with 2.02 valves if you all ready have a nice set of ported 1.88 valves. If you really want 2.02 valves I would just have them put in the heads you have now.

The LD340 looks pretty stock when painted, maybe grind of the logo and if you do a 71 or later a body you can port it to work with a square bore
or run a Eddy AVS, pull the sticker and it looks like a 70 and earlier 340.

The 268 cams make great Hi-Po replacement cams XE268H or the 268 Voodoo.

Heres the 340 I did for the Scamp, Looks stock other then the TTIs but made 480hp before the intake and carb swap. Probably around 425 with the TQ and LD340

IM000251.jpg

Is the cam you have a performer or performer RPM ? Big difference in timing events. Post the specs !

If you can afford it, aftermarket pistons can be bought which would be much lighter then stock pistons. This will make the engine rev much quicker and it will also be more durable due to the lighter weight. Stock factory 340 pistons are extremely heavy. What ever you do get it balanced.

-
Back