What years of 727 for A body

-

Richie

Reaction score
What span of years of 727s a good to fit right in A bodies. Mine is a 69 Dart witch now has a 318 and a 904 witch wouldn't be too good for a 340.

Unless your building that 340 for around 500 H.P. The 904 that you currently have would actually be a way better choice. The 904 uses alot less H.P.to run. And they are a great transmission. Most people, including myself, will just use the 904 with a reverse valve body set up in it. I hope someone else jumps in here to say how good of a trans a 904 is. Do a search on here. Just recently I think the post was titled "904 or 727" Check it out. It will have all of the info to convince you otherwise. Good luck.

Well that's what I've been saying to all the Mopar head relatives. To build up the 904 but they're all 'No way it won't take it", although none of them has had a nice Dodge for 30 years. I'm the dumb baby brother who knows nothing. :read2:

Dude, you are not dumb. Take it from me. I've NEVER USED A 727!!!!!!! I've had 360's that were pumping almost 450 H.P. Tell them you know what you doing.

I could be wrong.. but any 727 will fit... I have one in my Dart... I had a /6 with a 904, and never had any trouble with that tranny.. I went with the 727 for 2 reasons.. one, the /6 904 wouldnt work.. I wouldve needed to find a small block 904, and the 727 came with the 360 I bought.. and the price was unbeatable LOL .. I agree with the others. I have read great things about the 904... seems like a perfectly good tranny to me...

904 will work fine if built with quality parts.

SB 727's aren't easy to find anymore.

I'm also looking for a small block 904 to replace the slant 6 trans in my duster. Will 904s from somthing other than an A body work? difference in tailshaft housings/Length? Searched but couldn't find an answer....thanks

so will any 727 work though? I have a 4 speed I want to change out for an auto.

Any 727 that isn't a lockup or came out of a motorhome or 4x4 will work. Only thing to look out for is if your running a factory type shifter you'll need the tailhousing that has 2 holes on the bottom for the shifter linkage bracket to bolt to.

I'm also looking for a small block 904 to replace the slant 6 trans in my duster. Will 904s from somthing other than an A body work? difference in tailshaft housings/Length? Searched but couldn't find an answer....thanks

All 904's are the same physical size. Any non-lockup from any car/truck will work.

-
Back