whats a slant 6 worth ?

-
I just paid $400 for a BH running 225 with an Offy 4 barrel and headers, with a 904 attached to it.

Was the cat included with the sale? I don't think the wife would part with either of ours.....

Whatever someone will pay for it.. as others have said Giveaway-$250
Or whatever beers you can lure your buddies to your garage with to have them haul it away for you.

If it was a slant 6 and not locked up, it was runnin. LOL

Probably right! I would have tried starting it, but I just assumed it was locked up at first, the carburetor was also stuck, I tried to turn the engine over, and it seemed stuck at the time. After I started taking it apart, I found out that it turned real nice, I’m not sure why it didn’t wanna budge the first time, the guy was very happy with it when he got it, so that’s good!

It’s strange with these engines, not many people want them and they can be common and cheap. BUT when you find out you NEED one they can be pretty tough to find!

I paid 200 for this ‘70 225 slant and 904.
Was told they both had 70k miles.
Put the early a pan on it and did the timing chain. Had 145 lbs of cylinder pressure. Runs pretty good!

D3243EAF-11B0-47DE-9E87-AAD561359237.jpeg

It’s strange with these engines, not many people want them and they can be common and cheap. BUT when you find out you NEED one they can be pretty tough to find!
Couldn’t agree more. I needed one to replace my cracked 225. I posted a wanted ad and got some CRAZY asking prices…..:realcrazy::realcrazy:
If you need a good laugh. Look at the core motors for sale on eBay….

I have found that if the slant 6 is attached to any mechanical conveyance the values go up..
Welder, water pump, combine harvester, A body car etc.:)

Whatever someone will pay for it.. as others have said Giveaway-$250
Or whatever beers you can lure your buddies to your garage with to have them haul it away for you.
I'm not looking for crazy money for mine, but would like to get something for it, as an indirect trad for stuff needed to go farther on my projects. . get some dough for extra parts which is easier to trade for stuff I need ....
Price I was thinking for mine, is well in between that range, the $0 to 250...... I wasn't thinking of asking the high end of the range...... I've asked several people with /6 vehicles of they could use it and so far crickets...... I know I'll get calls as soon as it is gone no matter how it becomes gone.

Last edited:
The exhaust manifold is the most valuable part since they crack, up to $100 even used on ebay. If installing the exhaust, search for the info on how to orient the washers so it doesn't later crack. Too heavy to ship affordably, so a local buyer via craigslist. Blocks with 5 core plugs, thicker front web, and forged crank are said to be preferable (~1974), at least for racing, though I'm not expert.

Most people give away a slant and its transmission since so many rip them out to install a V-8. I have a spare slant from a member here who just needed it gone. I should also give it away since just taking up space and may never get around to using it. If I move, I'll surely give it away.

Last edited:
If you're talking to me that's pretty much what I was hoping for out of my extra /6....

Last edited:
I recently paid $500 for a running 225 (completely rebuilt to include balancing & parts list with receipt).

Recently? Was the work recently done as well?
I guarantee you that the seller had way more money in that build than that.
I had $800 just in machine work in my most recent one, not counting what I spent in parts, And I didn't have it balanced

I donated my slant, it's 904 and the 7 1/4 to the local high school auto shop, and got a $400 charitable donation receipt. Win-win for everyone.

Recently? Was the work recently done as well?
I guarantee you that the seller had way more money in that build than that.
I had $800 just in machine work in my most recent one, not counting what I spent in parts, And I didn't have it balanced
I have over 1500 in a head alone for my next build.

Yeah, with the oversized valves, new seats etc I have about $800 just in the head in my motor. Lots more than I thought I would in a " truck motor" if I hadn't bought the carbide burrs I did, just to do the work that I did to it before the machine shop even saw it/ and spent the 15 or so hours making cast iron dust within the head myself (vs letting them do it for me, they just touched it up and finished it for me, then magnaflux'ed it for me) and if a generous member here hadn't given up a few hours on his Saturday afternoon/ spending that time with me and my engine's head on his flow bench, I'm sure I'd have been at least in the same range as you, for dollars spent on this head ...
I see super six stacks with asking prices of $200 and going way up from there, when people can't give away whole engines sometimes..... Is also crazy. At least as crazy as spending $1500 on just a head.

I have never had anything of mine on a Dyno so I'm gonna have to go by the butt Dyno/ from memory of all the V8 powered trucks like my current one I've owned a over the years/ but my goal is to have built a /6, that runs like it has the power somewhere between what a new 318 or 360 "of the day" that would have come in these trucks, back when they were new.
Hope that makes sense

The way I figured it at the time was like this;
I had an extra long block sitting here already, sourced as part of a "package deal" that came with the super 6 stack that was originally intended to go on the trucks original /6 that is now in a stand next to the truck, and I hadn't built an engine in a few years, so "why not".
Add that to the idea that I've been down the "yank the 6, drop in a V8" road before.., and knowing that the mounts, the trans, the radiator, the oil pan, the exhaust, and more, won't swap between a 6 and an 8, and that's more stuff I'd have to buy just to be able to swap that V8 into my truck/ if the particular engine I found didn't come with any of that/ if I could build an engine that I didn't have to worry about finding all that stuff that isn't compatible between a /6 and an 8, I could actually put more money into building a better /6 than I would have had left to put into building a V8.... I'll never race it, no matter what engine I wind up with, anyway. As long as it has enough power to get out of its own way on the road, and doesn't get something silly like single digits for mileage, it'll do what I need it to do.
And "everybody else" would have done just that. I like "different" from the cookie cutter crowd, besides ... So why not see what I can make a /6 do?

I donated my slant, it's 904 and the 7 1/4 to the local high school auto shop, and got a $400 charitable donation receipt. Win-win for everyone.
That's a really good way to get the next generation involved with or at least aware of how it used to be. I donated a GM 3.3 V6 and transaxle to a local school years ago when I was moving and had no place to keep it.

Well I've donated to the local career center a few times over the years myself.
My extra /6 went to Michigan a couple of Saturdays ago. I got about the middle of the road of the suggested price range on the 1st page of this thread, It's outta my way, and I got pix of it already in another car... and he says it still runs pretty good...... Now I know how this story goes ... It's gone, and only now that it's gone, but I'll probably need one not too long from now.... where if I hadn't have found a new home for it, it may have sat here 10 years and just been "in the way".
So much stuff I don't need til it's gone..... Then it costs so much more to replace it..... Whatever "it" happens to be at the moment

-
Back