What's it worth 1970 340

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
Just came across a 1970 340 and I wonder what is a fair price for this motor. Casting # 2780930-340-6 with a casting date of 5-8-70. Wanna know if I should jump on it.

It depends on how complete and in what condition. Which heads are on it?

I'd say it could be worth $250-$1000. It really depends on condition. If the block is cracked, even less. I've had several 340 blocks that were cracked on the sides and in the lifter valley. Inspect it closely before coughing up dough.

I've personally never spent more than $300 on a 340 core.

I saw a cracksmoker at Monster Mopar with a air cleaner to oil pan 1969 (maybe) not rebuilt 340 that he wanted $3000 for.

it's complete carb to pan runnin gcondition been in storage for 6 years and has been oiled and rotated every month for the last 6 years has 130-145 psi of compression on each cylinder with J heads.

I saw a cracksmoker at Monster Mopar with a air cleaner to oil pan 1969 (maybe) not rebuilt 340 that he wanted $3000 for.

It might have been a little steep but his engine was pretty much all correct and stock for a 69. he also had a 71 engine on the other side. hard to find that stuff untouched.

Your 5-8-70 block would be for a 71 car. At the least, try to get the VIN off of it and list it, maybe someone is looking for an original engine for their car.
I'd say complete and more than likely running, $1500 min for a 71 340.

I just scored a complete (minus carb) 340 with 904 trans in soposedly great running condition for $275 its casting was...
2780930 340 5
and date code - 7 2 70

Now I got it on ebag and I dont think the owner knew what exactly it was seeing as it was listed a a Small Block Mopar (no were said 340), maybe he just didnt know the worth, but seems like an honest guy. But all that said I didnt pick it up yet as its 2 hours away but I did see video of it running a couple weeks ago but I wont know till I get it home and tear it down for inspection so its a slight gamble. But it has J heads, an Edelbrock water pump and single plane intake, and a high volume fuel pump, so I figure I could part it out if its not as good as he says and not fall short. But I couldnt pass it up, goes to show if you look hard enough, you can find deals, or at least I feel it was a good deal without even seeing it yet. But I was thinking about listing the #s once I get it to see if theres anyone who really needs it for a resto, of corse the price would be higher or trade for another good motor.

$1200 for a good running 340 seems like a good deal, all depends how honest he is. Unless you can see and inspect before you buy its always a gamble, sometimes it turns out great, and other times, not so good, I've had both.

Butch

Well I spoke to the guy for about 20 minutes it's his brothers motor he's a chevy guy so he doesn't know much about it other then the fact that the engine did run when they pulled it out and his brother takes care of it like it is going to back into service tomorrow. There is also a full gasket set and some extra parts along with it.

$1200 seems real good if its what he says it is. If you were planning to put it in something ASAP, offer to have him watch or whatever while you put it in yer wheels. Get your car ready for it, it will be done in an afternoon...hell get him to hand you wrenches (or beer)instead of just standing there!!LOL

I figure I have months before I am ready for a motor for myself. I was thinking or picking this thing up and getting it into one of your guys hands for a resto job. I was going to go through it and clean it up make sure it runs and what not.

FYI
Motors are a hard sell. Keep this in mind when buying or considering selling an engine. I have bought a couple after watching the owners trying to sell them for fair prices for many months and they were new never used crate motors. So I made a lowball offer and bought them.

-
Back