What's missing.

-

Airmonger

Reaction score
Newbe here. While harvesting information here, I came across a thread from Bobacuda concerning his battle with seal replacement. I copied one of his pic's because it highlights one of my questions about the factory trim and the distinct possibility that I won't be able to locate these pieces.
What are these missing trim pieces called, and does anyone have any idea where to aquire them.
I really appreciate the info if your in the know.
Yes, the gap really bugs me. 67 ragtop.

3B177A56-4438-47A1-B0B4-D72BBAFFFD9A.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you tried (AMD) auto metal direct or Classic Industries?

You have to be more specific, year and model of car. Place a wanted add when someone chimes in on their part name and you will likely find someone that will sell you them.

Yep as mentioned piece has shrunk or was cut short. Plastic/mylar that runs side to side fits under the larger corner pieces I believe.

Since the OP didn't state year and model, I can only guess here. Looks to me like a '68-9 A-body convertible. If that's the case, that lower stainless windshield molding looks too short for some reason. Not sure what it would have come off of, but, a '68-72 2dr HT lower molding should work. You may have to shorten the ends a bit, but, the lower curve should match a convertible cowl.

They sell a complete surround that has longer extensions on the A pillar piece that appears to eliminate the filler clip or cover

Since the OP didn't state year and model, I can only guess here. Looks to me like a '68-9 A-body convertible. If that's the case, that lower stainless windshield molding looks too short for some reason. Not sure what it would have come off of, but, a '68-72 2dr HT lower molding should work. You may have to shorten the ends a bit, but, the lower curve should match a convertible cowl.

'67 uses a one year only plastic lock strip. As Kendog mentioned, they can shrink quite a bit. Unless it's a restoration, most people like to use the '68-up stainless molding instead.....along with the more available windshield gasket. Otherwise, find a repro lock strip that will work and call it a day.

'67 uses a one year only plastic lock strip. As Kendog mentioned, they can shrink quite a bit. Unless it's a restoration, most people like to use the '68-up stainless molding instead.....along with the more available windshield gasket. Otherwise, find a repro lock strip that will work and call it a day.
The original poster is talking about a convertible.
ALL 67-69 Barracuda/Dart convertibles use the same gasket, the convertible gasket uses the plastic lock strip on all three years.

There are a couple different options that I have heard people talk about. no experience with either.
A. Use the standard convertible gasket and fit the lower stainless, some said the glued it down
B. I have been told you can use the 68/69 hardtop gasket and the lower stainless, on this one I was told they used the clips.

Alan

I have used a hardtop stainless molding and put silicone in the lock strip gap. Held good for 20 years then I sold the car so can't say how it held up over the last 15 years. I had to cut an inch or two on each end to make it fit...

Last edited:

ALL 67-69 Barracuda/Dart convertibles use the same gasket, the convertible gasket uses the plastic lock strip on all three years.

There are a couple different options that I have heard people talk about. no experience with either.
A. Use the standard convertible gasket and fit the lower stainless, some said the glued it down
B. I have been told you can use the 68/69 hardtop gasket and the lower stainless, on this one I was told they used the clips.

Alan

Alan

OP here. I am beginning to think that the reality of it is to just be patient and find some trim from a scrapped car to fabricate what I need.
I travel the Lone Star state quite a bit as part of my job. I'm sure there is a rusting hulk of a Mopar out there waiting for parts to be liberated from it. It seems to me I see a lot of late 70's to mid 80's cars sitting around making the slow transition back to mother earth.
Thanks for the ideas and the feed back.

That's the way they come from the factory....

56 years later...

PXL_20240503_231959614.jpg
PXL_20240503_232006221.jpg
PXL_20240503_232013551.jpg

Is the red arrow trim metal or plastic?
Screenshot_20240503-172450.png

You need the locking strip. It holds the lower part of the gasket as to prevent leakage. The hardtop lower stainless does fit you just need to cut I think an inch but do your own measuring. I would leave the strip in place and lay a bead right on top of it. The chevy truck filler I used on my 68 Dart Conv. lays nice for doing this. I will take a pic when I get home if I remember. lol

Here's my 68 Ragtop with the GM Truck filler strip. If you glue chrome to that the molding should fit more flush than glueing to the plastic trim. JMO I still yet have to do it myself.

Winsheild trim.jpg

-
Back