Whats my cheapest alternative

-

Reaction score
I picked these up today for what I thought was a decent price, Id like to hang them in my shop functioning. in sequence, red/yellow/green. What would be the cheapest/easiest way of making this happen?

Ive read some 5 year posts with broken links to various gadgets and seen some things on e-bay for 50 bucks but Ive also read that a christmas tree light deal would work just as well.

Anyone here have any experience with this?

Id also like to find the cheapest usage bulbs avail cause theyd be running 24/7 and just for looks.

Picture 513.jpg

Picture 514.jpg

Picture 515.jpg

Picture 516.jpg

Picture 517.jpg

Picture 518.jpg

Picture 519.jpg

Last edited:
You probably don't want them that bright in the shop. Pull them apart, get some 12V LEDs and google "sequential flasher."

Thanks, Id like to plug them into the nearest outlet and run off that.

Does the highway department know you have these? Just curious.

Anyway, you need to describe sequence you want. Do you want the green light to be on for 5 seconds, then the yellow light on for 5 seconds, then the red on for 5 seconds? You need to be specific as it will determine what type of switching you need. Maybe something easy can be found or someone could solder up a timer/switching circuit using triacs for about $15 worth of parts - but it would take some time and design knowledge.

With respect to power usage, the bulbs are only 10 watts. These bulbs are optimized for brightness and lower power use. You will not be able to find lower-power lights that will work in this application.

Purchased at a flea market, beyond that history unknown. Hadnt given much thought to how long ect and not too picky, just like to see them on.

From what I can see, the two wires that come out of each bulb can be spliced onto a cord and plugged right into 120 volts.

Last edited:
Flashing/blinking lights get on my nerves after some time. Best example it the Christmas tree. After a day or 3 I'll set it to basic on or off operation. So if these traffic lights were mine, all 3 lamps on or off at all times. And I would graft in LEDs so I don't need to buy/change bulbs often. Lots of potential candidates at Lowes, etc.., that do plug in at household 120 outlets.

Thanks everyone, i had a member here offer me what I needed for the cost of shipping so Im good to go

You probably don't want them that bright in the shop. Pull them apart, get some 12V LEDs and google "sequential flasher."
Listen to this.....he knows his **** Even I know you could still end up plugging it in the wall.

-
Back