whats my Horsepower gain with these mods?

-

Wild Card

Reaction score
i am converting my car from a 1bbl stock carb to a holley 350 2bbl and adding a round chrome top K&N filter and bypassing the A/C system. i am also elimating the cat converter and adding a flowmaster 40 seres with a 3'' tip. i was wondering about what my HP will be after thats all done. i know stock rating is around 145.

I don't know about all the rest but I bet that 3" tip will add about 20 HP all by itself.

you should be up around 146 HP

Why do V8 guys insist on commenting with such venom on slant threads?

Not everyone wants/needs a V8 swap.

To the OP, you have to understand, you're probably dealing with a tired, worn out slant with very low compression. Specific parts don't equal "x" amount of horsepower, everything works together as a package. If you're working with tired bones, the 2bbl and exhaust improvements will help, but they won't be doing their best.

I'd say a FRESH slant six with a 2bbl, nice exhaust, some increased compression (9:1), and a some cam will make 175-200 hp at the crank easy. A well-worn slant with stock 7:1 compression, a 2bbl and decent exhaust would sound and feel better, but it won't be night and day.

My suggestion is to pull the cylinder head, take some measurements, have it milled to increase compression to 9:1 or so, THEN bolt on the new intake/exhaust upon reassembly. Much more worth your time and effort, and I think you'd be pleased with the results.

But like I said in your other post, if you want/need to run with V8's, don't waste your time. Put your money towards an engine swap.

why are you going to stereotype me as a "V8" guy? you have no idea what or how many cars or engines i own. that was not a "venomous" statement. adding a 2 barrel and a 3" exhaust tip with a chopped off exhaust and a K&N filter is good for next to no HP in an otherwise tired slant six. obviously you were not around for the last "slant or 318" thread

No 225 that was equipped with a cat ever made close to 145 HP. The earlier engines were rated at 145 "gross" and that was optimistic.

If you are putting that Holley on a 4 bbl intake with a 2 bbl plate you might gain a little. If you are putting it on a factory 2 bbl intake with an adapter, don't expect much. They make an adapter to bolt a Holley 2bbl to a 1 bbl intake, which you should not use.

If you still have the early pellet style cat, removing it will probably result in some gain. Replacing it with a modern honeycomb cat will give the same result. The 1 7/8" exhaust system is the main obstacle to flow, adding a Flowmaster and 3" tip will just make more noise. A complete 2 1/4" system from manifold to bumper would help more, and the bigger carb will add little if anything without this upgrade.

Bypassing the A/C will only help if you completely remove it. You'll be removing 50# from the car. So, the improvement will be 1/4 to 1/3 as much as the car slows down when you have a passenger.

A .040 shave off the cylinder head to bump compression will help as much or more than the other stuff, and would be worthwhile. All of these together might get you to a "real" 145 hp assuming the rest of the engine is in really good condition.

why are you going to stereotype me as a "V8" guy? you have no idea what or how many cars or engines i own. that was not a "venomous" statement. adding a 2 barrel and a 3" exhaust tip with a chopped off exhaust and a K&N filter is good for next to no HP in an otherwise tired slant six. obviously you were not around for the last "slant or 318" thread

Which one? Those threads come up every week. And I obviously have no experience with modifying slants with 2bbls and exhaust, either.

Simply explain your statements in the first place. If you don't have time to write more than a smart-a$$ comment, how is the OP supposed to figure out what you're talking about and why?

Oh, I stereotyped you as a V8 guy because of your comment AND the bright yellow car with "360" plastered on the flanks of your sig AND the small block in your avatar. I assumed it was your car. Sorry if I was mistaken.

Go search "ported slant head" thread. That's my head. Does that look like a V8 to you? I made the smartass (not venomous) comment because I was makin fun of the exhaust tip when he made no mention of exhaust mods whatsoever, which is where he would see the MOST GAINS. In other words, I was jokin with him, not being "venomous". Evidently, you would hide under a table if people really did get venomous. Go stereotype somebody else, moron.

Which one? Those threads come up every week. And I obviously have no experience with modifying slants with 2bbls and exhaust, either.Oh, I stereotyped you as a V8 guy because of your comment AND the bright yellow car with "360" plastered on the flanks of your sig. I assumed it was your car. Sorry if I was mistaken.

im not going to get into a pissing match with you because you dont like my statement.those are my small blocks and NOT the only cars i own. the 360 duster is only one of my cars which incidently used to have a slant 6. i never said you have no experience and i did not attack YOU for what you had to say. you are telling the guy to dump a ton of money and work into his 6 cylinder to see any improvement in HP. no body said anything about swapping his 6 with a V8 except YOU. simmer down man , this is the internet.

Lol to many cry babies on this site

But back on topic buy a 2bbl nitrous plate for slant that will wake it up a little

other than maybe a little better throttle response, I'd have to agree with 73a, probably 5-10hp. Its not going to be as big a difference as you'd expect. Brand new, and i may be mistaking here, but the 2bbl engines produced around 10 more hp.

Hows that 40 flowmaster sound? I've been toying with the idea of splitting my manifold and running duals with the 40's on my slant for a while now. I think it'd sound good.

Well if yall notice, in the original post he mentions NO exhaust mods other than a 3" tip. That's why I went all smartass. With no exhaust mods, you can expect nothing. Nothing. NOTHING. Notta damn thing. You can increase the air and fuel going in all you want, but until you allow for that increase going OUT, you'll see no improvement. As stated, a 2.25 exhaust pipe will see a big improvement including all the other mods. Maybe even a 2.50 pipe. The OP seems to be cool about it, but some of the rest of yall need to suck up the butthurt. We might be smartass about it, but we're givin good advice.....kinda like sittin around the shop shootin the ****.

I agree wholeheartedly with SS. There's nothing wrong with shootin' a little sh*t!! It almost seems too often these days that someone gets their feelings hurt and all the sudden a joke turns into a blast session.

I don't know about you guys...but when you turn off the computer and hit the shop....the sh*t shootin' comes in with full effect!

At the end of the day we're all just here to help.

And that's the bottom line:D

oh i'll say it

slant 6 = reliable fun motor not meant to be a hp powerhouse out of the box
costs money to make them put out good power but it can be done

the mods proposed will give a very slight gain, but may provide a smoother running car and more reliable if it's a fresh carb tuned properly :D as opposed to an aged 1 bbl that may have problems

i aint afraid to be politically incorrect. slant 6 is a good, fun, reliable motor but it costs money to get big power out of them. and i'm not being venomy

I agree 100%. I got about 800 clams in my head now. A SLANT head. LOL But it's gonna be fun as hell. How do you put a price tag on fun?

oh i'll say it

slant 6 = reliable fun motor not meant to be a hp powerhouse out of the box
costs money to make them put out good power but it can be done

the mods proposed will give a very slight gain, but may provide a smoother running car and more reliable if it's a fresh carb tuned properly :D as opposed to an aged 1 bbl that may have problems

i aint afraid to be politically incorrect. slant 6 is a good, fun, reliable motor but it costs money to get big power out of them. and i'm not being venomy

i have tons of respect for the slant and the guys that put their love into them. they are making crazy HP with them. they also make for a great reliable engine that wasnt meant for turning impressive 1/4 mile slips. if you want any kind of real HP out of these engines you are going to have to work for it. simple upgrades like ignitions and a 2 barrel are not going to make a real difference. you have to get the thing to really flow before it will benefit from any bolt ons.

i have tons of respect for the slant and the guys that put their love into them. they are making crazy HP with them. they also make for a great reliable engine that wasnt meant for turning impressive 1/4 mile slips. if you want any kind of real HP out of these engines you are going to have to work for it. simple upgrades like ignitions and a 2 barrel are not going to make a real difference. you have to get the thing to really flow before it will benefit from any bolt ons.

Or add some friendly boost.

I agree wholeheartedly with SS. There's nothing wrong with shootin' a little sh*t!! It almost seems too often these days that someone gets their feelings hurt and all the sudden a joke turns into a blast session.

I don't know about you guys...but when you turn off the computer and hit the shop....the sh*t shootin' comes in with full effect!

At the end of the day we're all just here to help.

And that's the bottom line:D

Well said!!!!!

Okay guys, so let me get this straight: The consensus/implication seems to be that adding a 2bbl and better exhaust to a slant six isn't worth the time and effort???? What hobby is this???

The OP didn't state any specific end goals (which, yes, he should have). He was just asking how much power he'd get. Yeah, if he was hoping for 50+, then he's gonna be disappointed, but that's for HIM to decide. I feel like our job is to give him the facts.

The prevailing attitude around FABO always seems to be about max power for the least money, which almost inevitably leads to comments about either a V8 swap or boost. Believe it or not, I don't have a problem with either one. But is there no room anymore for just wrenching on a six for a few ponies? What about someone trying to learn the basics, and just wants a fun driver? Is slantsix.org the only place for guys like that?

Lemme put it this way. If the OP had said he had a 318, and wanted to swap in a 4bbl and add duals, he wouldn't get HALF the negativity in this thread. Sure, he'd get the requisite "need a cam and headwork to get the full benefit" comments, which are all true. But haven't ALL of us dropped a 4bbl and duals on a stock engine at some point? Would any of us say now that it was a waste of time? Even without "the full benefit", I seem to recall feeling a lot of pride when I was done, and the car was a LOT more fun. To me, this is exactly the same thing.

I expect folks to be realistic and try to manage the expectations of the newbies. That's our job as "been there, done that" veterans. But jeez, have we given up completely on positive encouragement?

I didn't dyno my Swinger before or after my Super Six and Dutra Duals swap, and frankly, I don't care if I gained 2 hp or 20. But it was DAMN sure worth my time and effort, and I recommend it to ANYONE with a slant six driver, but your mileage may vary.

Putting a bigger carb on a SL6 doesn't make a lot difference if everything else is stock. The Super Six (two barrel) made a little difference but not a real big change. the effects of increasing compression on the /6 makes a huge difference. Any where from 9 to 1 to 9.5 to 1 really wakes up the motor and that is leaving everything else near stock.

Performance upgrades that make a big difference.

Compression increase #1
advancing the cam or having yours reground for more torque and advancing it #2
#3 is re-curving the distributor.
#4 would be going to 2.25" exhaust and a free flowing muffler
#5 would be going to electric fan to save some HP. The electric fan has many benefits besides increasing HP. It lets the engine warm up quicker, and reduces heat soak for better mileage.
#6 upgrade to a bigger carb

Okay guys, so let me get this straight: The consensus/implication seems to be that adding a 2bbl and better exhaust to a slant six isn't worth the time and effort???? What hobby is this???

Nobody ever said that. You assumed it. Go look at what I wrote. I said WITHOUT exhaust mods, there was no point. Doing all the rest without improving the exhaust is indeed useless. That's why the Super SIx package had a 2.25" pipe. You should brush up on your comprehension and grammar skills. Not to mention your manners in your ugly little PMs talking about another member because you're too chickens%$t to tell him yourself. You're off my list, moron.

From mid-1961 to 1963, 50,000 225-cid Slant Six engines were produced with an aluminum engine block. These were discontinued because production was slower, more expensive, and not as reliable as with the steel blocks

The Hyper-Pak was available for the 170 and 225 slant sixes. It had a radical cam, Carter AFB 3083S four-barrel carburetor on a long-ram intake manifold, steel tubing exhaust headers, higher compression pistons, and a special exhaust. Advertised at 195 hp (gross output, for the 170), Hyper-Pak engines were the rulers of the lower stock classes at the drag races, and the Hyper-Pak was available from dealers.
~~Compression ratio: 11.5:1 (225), 10.5:1 (170)
~~Brake hp: 195 at 5200 rpm (225), 148 (170) (factory specs)

Here's a nice description of the Hyper Pack's performance in the 1960 NASCAR comact car class courtesy of allpar.com.

In 1960, in building #135 of the Chrysler complex in Highland Park, Michigan, the very first high-performance slant six was born. The 170 cubic inch slant six was originally designed in 1958 to replace the flat-head six, which was big and bulky, and underpowered for the new Valiant compact car line for model-year 1960.

With the release of the compact 1960 Plymouth Valiant, NASCAR sanctioned a special race for the new six-cylinder compact car class, which would involve all three major automakers.
Located in building 135 was a special group of Chrysler racing engineers that worked in Dyno Cell 13. With NASCAR putting out word of the special race, the engineers went to work on the 170 cid slant six. This special group would be responsible for taking an ordinary 170 cubic inch six and making it put out extraordinary horsepower, that would earn these Chrysler racing engineers the title of most powerful and feared in-line six cylinder ever built in America.
With these special group of engineers, the 170 slant six would be transformed from economy to high performance and the question of the slant six durability and performance would be put to the test in front of millions of TV viewers.
The 1960 Plymouth Valiant was only available in a 4 door model; this was given a standard block with a set of special domed pistons for a higher compression ratio. The dome height was .250” above the block and the dome volume was 13.7 cc. The camshaft was a racer brown ST-21 which has a lift of .520, duration of 286°, and a centerline of .108; that was the race version that was used in the Daytona race. The public version of the camshaft was a Direct Connection camshaft with specs of 276° duration with a .430 lift (part 2205620). The next step was valve springs (1944554) and a special set of pushrods (2129619). [Originally we had listed STX-21 which has a lift of .560 and duration of 306°. Thanks, Jim at RB Cams.]
With the intake system, Chrysler racing engineers specifically designed the long ram intake manifold to give more power around 4-4,500 rpm to help with coming out of the turns. The carb was hung out 21 inches from the cylinder head to force the fuel to give a ram effect for even more power; the carb was a special four-barrel Carter AFB model 3083, which carried part number 2129881.
A set of special cast iron manifolds called the Hyper-Pak header split the manifolds; the front three standard manifold carried P/N 2129899 and the rear manifold carried P/N 2129900. These dumped into a single 2-1/2” o.d. outlet pipe followed by a bigger muffler from an Imperial. The exhaust and muffler carried P/N 2298350. The special air cleaner assembly carried P/N 2129992 with a special air cleaner gasket (P/N 1821170).
A high performance manual 3-speed was used behind the race version Valiant with a special clutch driving disc that carried P/N 2201219, with a clutch cover and pressure plate with P/N 2201223.
The name Hyper-Pak was given while the engineers were doing the dyno runs with their new high performance 170 cu. inch six cylinder; once it fired up the motor would shake and lope badly and some of the engineers commented, “that thing is so hyper!” The rest is history.
With the slant six introduced in 1960 in two versions, a 101 hp, 170 cu.in and a 145hp, 225 cu. in. version, the slant six built its reputation for performance and reliability. The 148hp, 170 cu. in Hyper-Pak introduced in the 1960 Valiant was the next step and the one that was to prove the new engine worthy of any performance challenge.
Seven slant six valiants entered the new NASCAR race; when the race ended, not only had all seven Hyper-Paks finished, proving their reliability and durability, but they won the first seven places!
This type of performance speaks for itself.
In a first, CBS television had aired the compact sedan races as well as the qualifying for the Daytona 500 race in a live TV special for their “sports spectacular;” it was estimated that 17 million people were watching. The compact sedan race quickly turned into a dull affair as lap after lap Lee Petty managed to turn away all challenges. It was made even duller by the fact that besides his Valiant, the next 7 positions were also hyper-pak valiants.
The finishing order was Valiant 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 ! Did Chrysler use that for advertising fodder? Nope. Go figure! NASCAR agreed with CBS on the dull part of the race, and quickly cancelled any other plans for a compact sedan race.
Not the first time a sanctioning body has changed the rules, because Chrysler showed up ready to race!

-
Back