What's That Ticking?

-
So after finally getting around to fixing my trans pan leak the ticking/knocking has gone away. I had a slight leak for a few weeks and was losing fluid. Curious to know a low ATF level would cause such a noise. Granted, I have only taken it out once since the pan fix but I was at temp for a good 20-30 min without any noise. Bad news is, the pan was full of shavings so looks like a rebuild is in my near future. I am not getting passing gear and the kickdown lever connected to the trans does not have any spring load in it, which I've read will tear up the trans in the long run.

Tick/knock has reared its ugly head again. Myself and two mechanics have checked all these culprits and everything has checked out. Rods are good, valve assembly is good, converter bolts are tight and not hitting anything, flex plate is solid, dust cover is not hitting anything. Almost sounds like the noise is coming form the bell housing area. I am scratching my head....

when you say flex plate is solid, did you remove it to check? if not then yes it'll feel solid in situ. i've had them crack through the bolt holes at the crank. still felt fine but was noisy as hell getting worse by the day. once removed it was clear where the noise was coming from.
neil.

No passing gear + metal in the trans oil pan. Could be metal to metal contact causing your noise.

Found the culprit. After being away for quite some time, I finally got around to jacking up the car to pull the trans and noticed right away what this issue is. All but one bolt has this damage to the flex plate. Any ideas what could cause this?
IMG_3918.jpg

IMG_3919.jpg

Yep, that flex plate has the option for two different bolt sizes. I think you put the small bolts in the big holes and it hammered the hole out.

This is it. Well, yours has the cutout I think for it he correct balance. Both have the two bolt size options.

50D678EA-A05C-4CF1-88D2-923F74DB8C21.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, going to get a new bolt kit. Would you happen to know if there is a bolt kit specifically for this application? LA 360 to a A904.

There are two bolt sizes, not really an engine/trans thing. More a what converter it is. Mine are aftermarket converters so they are the big bolts. I can’t remember what they are, however. I just converted from a 727 to a 904 and I know the flex plate is different. Make absolutely sure you get a 904 flex plate, not just a small block one.

yeah 10239 seems like the la to 904 external bal flex plate. You

-
Back