What's the secret to adjusting Trunk tension bars?

-

Dfnsmn34

Margarita Mike
Reaction score
Aloha!

I have a 1971 Duster. I just put a Go-Wing on it and now I need to adjust the trunk tension bars. I just about ripped my arm off trying to move the bar one notch foward.

I know there's got to be a secret to doing this...anyone can help me?

The tension was so great trying to pull the L shape arm foward I thought it was going to throw my vice grips through the package tray and imbend it in the headliner!

Do I need to do all this while in the trunk (with the lid closed). I know the trunk is big but I'm 6'2 and 245...

Got to be some sort of pully/winch set-up I can do...

Mahalo in advance!

Mike
1971 Duster 340 727 8.75 w/3.9.1

There is a tool for that. Check with your local dealer. If
your on good terms with them, they might let you borrow it.
Simple tool. Hooks around the end of the hook and then rides on the axis part of the rod.

:cheers:Ok this is what I did...

I backed my pick up truck to the Dusters trunk. OH BOY!!! 3-4 feet away.

I took my tie-down straps 1 inch webbing with ratchet. Hooked it up to the tied down hook in the truck. The otherside I hooked around the tension bar hook (were it goes into the notch. one of four, It started in the second from the back). Started ratching the tied down...pulled the rod out of the notch/hole. (very easy all tension is on tie-down) kept my hand on the unit. once the proper ratching was done (about two-four ratchets). it lined right up with the third hole. Pushed it in. released the ratchet. DONE!!!

Easy. no strain. NO scratches. A two person set up though. Easier if one person ratchets and the other does the moving of the rod/tension bar.

Mahalo Guys and Girls!:cheers:

Perfect open and closing weight on the trunk with the wing now!!!

-
Back