Wheel Cylinder Bolts

-

MuuMuu101

Reaction score
I know I'm kinda a :newb:, but a couple weeks ago I was trying to replace my wheel cylinders on my 1968 Dodge Dart and one of the ones on my rear 10" drums had some weird metric bolts on there (about the equivalence of a 1/2" I believe). Anyways, I have the new wheel cylinders in but my problem is I have no extra hardware. Does anyone know where I could buy some SAE Grade bolts? I believe they were 3/8" bolts from the factory??? (Pleas correct me if I'm wrong...) Thanks for all your help!

You must be referring to head size, as a half inch bolt holding a wheel cylinder is a wee bit stout.

I would make a trip to a hardware store with your cylinder or cylinders in hand, and pick out some grade 5 bolts that fit it or them.

You must be referring to head size, as a half inch bolt holding a wheel cylinder is a wee bit stout.

I would make a trip to a hardware store with your cylinder or cylinders in hand, and pick out some grade 5 bolts that fit it or them.

Someone may have substituted a work-a round metric cylinder. I would replace both rear cylinders with correct part number. The last thing you want back there is mismatched diameter wheel cylinders causing weird unbalanced braking dynamics where one side applies more force to one set of shoes than the other.

Sorry, yes, I'm referring to head size. I don't know what the thread measurement is exactly. Did they come in course or fine threads back in 68? Anyways, I already have my wheel cylinders. I bought these Autospecialty / Kelsey Hayes ones off of rockauto and they seems to fit just fine. So Grade 5? It probably wouldn't be worth it to go to Grade 8, right? Thanks for all your help!

I went from this...
IMAG0968_zps45d35c60.jpg

To this (I just need the proper bolts)...
IMAG0997_zps968c92d0.jpg

Go to the hardware or your local NAPA with the wheel cylinder in hand and get the bolts.

3/8 is the hex size. I believe the bolts will be 1/4 - 20 coarse thread. Be sure to use grade 8 bolts only. Ask for 1/4 - 20 - 1/2 bolts. 1/2 is the length. Also use a good grade eight 1/4" washer also...

Threads are referred to by the outside diameter of the threads, not the hex head of the bolt.

Thanks! I knew that threads weren't measured by the hex, but that's the only way I could think of identifying them without knowing the thread. And I was thinking of going with Grade 8 anyways just for the extra strength.

Agree with all of the above, but while you are at the hardware store buy a "thread gauge" they can be had in plastic and only cost a buck or 2. Handy as heck!

-
Back