Wheel Paint

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
IMG_5706.JPG
Im going to be refinishing 4 cop car wheels for my low budget Duster project.
Going to clean and sand them by hand with wire wheel/brush and sand paper the steel wool.
I really like Rustoleum Rust reformer as a base coat. I'm wondering if the Mopar Performance Argent Silver or the Eastwood silver wheel paint will adhere well over the rust reformer or does anyone know of a Rustoleum top coat that is a good Argent Silver?

Cop wheels? You know you'll never get past a donut shop without stopping. Lol

Not familiar with the product, but whenever I've used different paint lines to "cocktail" em together it always bites me in the ***. I would spray a test panel and see if she blows up on ya. Nothing worse than starting over on wheels

That rust reformer is one of those products that turns rust black, right? In that case, You'd probably be OK since those chemical reactions are usually the result of an acid reactint with the rust's surface; leaving a hard black surface after the reaction. HOWEVER, TimsGT suggestion of a test panel is a GREAT idea. I also have been bitten when mixing paint brands.

I would probably put some type of primer that's compatible with the topcoat on there over the reformer.

My hands down favorite for this type of thing, is Rustoleum Etching Primer with the flat green cap.
It goes down nice and flat, and bonds well. It plays nice with anything/everything I have sprayed on it.
It can be had at Walmart, Lowes, Home depot,etc.
Look no further.

Last edited:
Yeah, I like that etching primer! Used it on my bumpers after sanding them down. Here is a pic of the rear mocked up to be mounted without the 73up bumper shocks and spacer.
Top coat here is Rustoleum Sunrise Red, Which is so close to E5 Rallye Red it's un-noticeable.
Needless to say, I LOVE Rustoleum products.

bumper paint.JPG

Long time ago, used rallye wheels in similar condition. First I had them sand blasted. Then I spent quite some time cleaning the sand, etc.. out of the nip where the 2 parts are welded together, and I did some filling and sanding at a few small scars. I used dupli-color primer and paint to get body color Spinnaker white. I flooded the nip area and pushed it with compressed air too, attempting to cover the tiniest spot where rust might grow ( it would really show on white ). These wheels still looked great years later when I sold the car. So I guess my point is in the prep work, Remove the rust versus chemical treatment. I have used the Rusoleum Reformer but in my opinion, it dries too fast to fully saturate and neutralize rust in thicker metals.

Long time ago, used rallye wheels in similar condition. First I had them sand blasted. Then I spent quite some time cleaning the sand, etc.. out of the nip where the 2 parts are welded together, and I did some filling and sanding at a few small scars. I used dupli-color primer and paint to get body color Spinnaker white. I flooded the nip area and pushed it with compressed air too, attempting to cover the tiniest spot where rust might grow ( it would really show on white ). These wheels still looked great years later when I sold the car. So I guess my point is in the prep work, Remove the rust versus chemical treatment. I have used the Rusoleum Reformer but in my opinion, it dries too fast to fully saturate and neutralize rust in thicker metals.

I appreciate your thoughts. I won't sand blast due to the cost and the sand getting wedged in the seam. I will however spare nothing when it comes to elbow grease when sanding all the rust off the wheels and prepping for paint.
I think these wheels will look awesome on my Duster when they are done. Planning to run them with Rallye center caps, and possibly some beauty rings if I think they need it.

cops and caps.jpg

Every time I use rust-oleum the finish looks bad, I have baked it, let it dry for weeks I can't touch it up without it lifting. I use VHT on every thing and bake it at 200 for an hour and they come out great every time. Baked a oil pan that I primed with rust-oleum and it exploded in my electric oven and blew the door off. I'm done with rust-oleum.

Every time I use rust-oleum the finish looks bad, I have baked it, let it dry for weeks I can't touch it up without it lifting. I use VHT on every thing and bake it at 200 for an hour and they come out great every time. Baked a oil pan that I primed with rust-oleum and it exploded in my electric oven and blew the door off. I'm done with rust-oleum.
I'm sure your wife is done with you for blowing the door off the oven! lol
I'm a real in the driveway under the shade tree kinda guy. I have very nice results with Rustoleum....

I put a oven in my shed, just for that reason. that was the only time it happened.
Black rust-oleum always comes out with a foggy look for me, never as shinny and reflective as VHT does.

I appreciate your thoughts. I won't sand blast due to the cost and the sand getting wedged in the seam. I will however spare nothing when it comes to elbow grease when sanding all the rust off the wheels and prepping for paint.
I think these wheels will look awesome on my Duster when they are done. Planning to run them with Rallye center caps, and possibly some beauty rings if I think they need it.

View attachment 1714999825
What center cap is that? Looks nice.

I used summits base/clear system on my wheels.
A lot of work, I did blast them myself using a harbor freight blaster.
I hate prepping/painting wheels.

1000854hk.jpg

-
Back