Wheelie Bars

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
From Wham O

Could you imagine the liability with these nowadays?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWDprSdH2xQ"]WHAM-O WHEELIE BAR Tv Commercial 1966 - YouTube[/ame]

Lol, never saw one of those. Did you notice, not a single bike helmet, no knee or elbow pads, they were even bare footed! How the heck did we survive those days?

Kids were a bit tougher back then and when you got hurt it was chalked up to another lesson learned. Scrapped knees or a "bump on the noggin" got ya' some ice, maybe an aspirin, and an "I told not to do that" from mom.
Anyway most didn't need that roller to ride a wheelie on a 20" stingray from what I remember.

Only in their minds. LOL Today we're raising generations of pu$$ies.

With lawyers. :)

This guy doesn't need one of those wheelie bars, but then again he's friggin nuts.
I wonder how many vehicles he's clipped that caused him to eat s**t?

Last edited by a moderator:
That Wham-O wheelie bar was for the kids that couldn't ride.
I remember my older brother was pretty good for a while (500' no problem), but i knew I would better him if I stuck with it. When I was 11 or 12 I was doing about 300', by the time I was 14 or 15, it was easy half mile plus. I had also been riding mini-bikes and dirtbikes starting at 5years old. Local police weren't too happy when I got my first registered streetbike...
Took about 3 weeks to be able to go all the way through the gears on the back wheel.
Of course I did it on the main drag through town for a friend one day, only to see The Man waiting. First thing out of his mouth was "Nice wheelie, think you're Evil Knievel or something?" That really didn't go so well when he saw I only had a learners permit...

A kid in my neighborhood had a ten speed. It only had the rear wheel, no brakes and only one gear. He road it everywhere like that. Just get on pop a wheelie off he went.

Wow...was that Landy's mom in the car?
One cool thing about those; if you had a set on your bike you would be able to judge what it took to balance and hold in pretty short order, then you could take 'em off and ride without pretty quickly.
Lawyers have sure ruined this country.......

By drinking water out of someone's garden hose when we wanted/needed some water - and we probably didn't even know who the garden hose belonged to.
Ha ha, I still do that at my house occasionally when working outside, still enjoy the taste of garden hose water!

-
Back