WheelRite Tool

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
I received a new Jegs catalog in the mail a couple of days ago & found this listed in it. It's a tool that simulates a wheel & tire mounted to your hub. It can be used to simulate just about any size tire & wheel, from 15" to 30" in diameter & 6" to 20" in width. It looks like you could adjust for the wheel & tire combo you want to use, then just bolt it to the hub & rotate to check clearances. It also measures bolt pattern, lets you determine backspacing, etc. I checked Summit Racing & they have it listed too. To be fair, I'm posting links to each one. It's also available on eBay.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...=PHP-01201&N=700+400251+1004+115&autoview=sku

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10002_761153_-1

I would imagine that any good wheel & tire store would have something like this on hand, but I've never seen one before (I haven't been in a good wheel & tire store in a long time either). It's a bit pricy at almost $90, but it could keep you from making an expensive mistake if you're ordering a set of wheels.

:burnout:

Just bought one from Summit. Should arrive today. It's expensive but relatively cheap insurance if you go the custom offset wheel route.

Its an old tool and your right generally most tire places should have one. none that i have worked at did mind you. but i have used one.. great tool!
the only thing you will need to account for is tire flex and sidewall compression!
but you knew that anyway.. right? right!

70Duster440 said:
Just bought one from Summit. Should arrive today. It's expensive but relatively cheap insurance if you go the custom offset wheel route.

Let me know what you think of it, as far as quality, is it flimsy, etc. The more I think about it, the more I think maybe I should buy one.

It's injection molded gray plastic (about 1/8" thick - kinda like Rubbermaid) with thumb screws. Says "Made in the USA" on it. Semi-"flimsy", though no more than you would expect since it's made of plastic. Plenty stiff enough to do the job it's designed for and rugged enough to stand up to some abuse. Also includes a piece of 14 ga insulated copper wire that you use to simulate the tire profile. There's also an extension piece for measuring ridiculously large wheels. It's a nice tool and should work well. I'll take some pics and post them when I measure for wheels.

I ordered one a few days ago. I figure it'll come in handy at least a few times before I die. I found a place on eBay that sells them for about $90, shipping included.

$90, holy crap, tape measure and a stick sure are getting expensive. Oh wait, thats what I would use to figure out what wheel/tire combo I want (how I figured mine). Personaly I wouldn't waste my money on it, unless I was building hot rods by the dozens and needed an easy way to decide tire and rim combo. As it stands, a straight piece of wood, like a ruler, and a tape measure is all I have ever needed. To each there own I guess.

-
Back