When are we gonna consolidate our expertise?

-

e50095

Reaction score
I recently read an awesome post in regard to Cherokee rear ends, which included the differences between the 8 1/4, Dana 35, and Dana 44. It was posted by someone in the know, and he even posted what gear sets were available in jeeps for each of these rears. He did this in response to the question, why not just take the Jeep rear and put it in your A-body, instead of stealing the rear disks for an 8 1/4 or trying to make them work on an 8 3/4. I surmise the question was asked because there is apparently no easy solution to the Jeep rear disks on the 8 3/4. When I say easy I mean bolt on, not fabricating a bunch of stuff to make it work. The Jeep rear is apparently very similar in width to a B-body, which has been used successfully in A-body cars by many folks on this site.

Anyway, I say all this because for years now I've read the most amazing information in these posts, and I learn something new everyday, like 67-72 sway bar brackets are the same ones used on 66-69 B-bodies...who knew that?

My problem is that I cannot commit all this stuff to memory, and I'm having problems finding stuff I previously read a year ago. And it was some really good stuff I read that I can't recall. I believe the disk brake conversion 101 thread is great, but it seems to me it would be worth consolidating the known info on a topic and publishing it in a searchable pdf document. Some guys on this site are walking encyclopedias of info, but I know it gets tiresome for them to continuously respond to the same old questions. For example, a very common issue is an entry level guy with a slant, 904, 7 1/4, and a desire to upgrade...even if it's only the drum brakes. We love this kind of guy because he has shown the interest and desire to improve his experience. The disk brake 101 sticky can bring him up to speed on that, but it's a huge world beyond disk brakes. A section that details common rear end swaps (even the explorer switch the axle tube mission that I won't try in a million years) would be a godsend to him, and me because I can't keep it all straight. For this entry level guy, buying a Jeep rear with disks and limited slip from the local U-pullit for $125 may be the way to go. Even with new spring perches and $150 in welding, he is still around $300. Sure grip 8 3/4's for A bodies are going for close to $1000 now, and although he may still want to go that way, all the possibilities can be laid out for him with approximate costs.

Straight informative info is invaluable, and the rear axle example is 1 area. Throw in suspension components, engine, cooling, exhaust, fuel systems, and paint, and it's a huge volume of information. I'm just curious if anyone has started to try to put together such a volume of info. It's all here, I just think it's too difficult to find it by searching old posts.

Anyway, I've rambled enough...what do you cats think?

There is a mopar parts interchange book.

Then there's the mopar chassis manual, but for some reason probably liability they do not go into fuel systems.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-Interchange-1968-1974-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760304203"]Amazon.com: Chrysler Muscle Parts Interchange Manual, 1968-1974 (Motorbooks Workshop) (3700160304204): Paul Herd: Books[/ame]

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-5007160/

I hear ya.
The bodyworking 101 thread was a great start.
There should be one on bbp disc brake swap, stroking a small block, electrical troubleshooting, body panel interchange, and many more. That would be good for everyone.

-
Back