When to Weld in Frame connectors

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I finally got my Cuda in the garage. I would like to start pulling it all apart to start restoring it. I was thinking that before I pull apart the car would it be a good idea to weld in some frame connectors? Car has no engine or trans. Or should I wait until I am reassembling the car to weld them in?

The garage floor isn't level. So I was going to level it up on jack stands under the rear axle and under the front control arms. Then weld in the connectors.

Generally the rule is to wait until all the weight is supported/bolted into the car and the total weight of the car is supported by the 4 tires and is level before welding in the connectors. Your engine and tranny are rubber mounted so they shouldn't add a twisting moment. If you're planning to put the stripped frame/body on a rotiserrie and get everything aligned, straight then I've know guys welding in the connectors while its still in the jig.

I would put the jack stands under the frame in the spots that are flat, like right by the front spring hanger and right before the frame bends up for the front suspension. Check to make sure your doors still open and close smoothly. The gap is still the same around the doors and the car is level all around. Now you can weld them in. Thats how I have done mine and never had any problems.

Did mine when the car was completely bare stripped. The minimal weight will not encourage the twisting of the frame / body. If your floor is uneven, shim under the jack stands until equal weight appears to be on the frame points where they touch the jack stand. Put stands under rear frame rails in center of axle area, put front stands around the front K frame bolt hole. Weld. The car body has a good level rigidity and when stripped will not twist due to minor irregularities in support because there is no weight encouraging the twist. Heard of some fellows on here doing it while sideways on a rotisserie w/o issue. Same concept of rigidity applies there.

If it is fully together, uh, I have no idea.

I have not assembled my road hog machine yet so no final result type info.

My two cents. :)

Or you could strip it and haul it off to a body shop that has a frame machine.
They can level and cross check it and tack the subframe ties in so you can finish the job at home.

Or you could strip it and haul it off to a body shop that has a frame machine.
They can level and cross check it and tack the subframe ties in so you can finish the job at home.

That is a good Idea. I was trying to figure out how I could make a jig to ensure the car was perfectly square. This will probably be the best bet.

-
Back