Where are my scuba divers???

-

68gtxman

I used to reMember
Reaction score
DSC01409.JPG

OK, I'll start. This is me in front of the Tursiops dive boat on 12/1/16 in Nassau Bahamas. I went with my wife, Nina, Fratzog Lover and his wife. We dove twice that day on several boat wrecks. Water temperature was 76 at a depth of 85'. I use an Oceanic data mask with a back-up wrist computer. The data dive mask is awesome!

Let us know who you are, where you like to dive and any interesting stories that you have.

DSC01422.JPG

This is me on the dive boat in Freeport Bahamas on 12/2/16. We dove on a couple of wrecks and among four reef sharks and several manta rays. One shark got within 4' of my wife and I swear he was giving her the eye!

We'll be diving next around 3/1/17 at a cruise line's private island in the Caribbean. First time for there, so we'll have to see how good or bad it will be then.

Sounds like fun! I got certified in Southern Florida and did lots of spear fishing and fossil hinting there, some river diving in Lowcountry South Carolina for a while, then loads of shallow diving while in Hawaii for a couple years.

I get terribly seasick so boats are out for me. About ten years ago I was finding it impossible to regulate my ears anymore so diving became too painful to enjoy at all.

Out at the Channel Islands off the CA coast, and right as we were getting ready to come back in a huge storm blew in.
I had just mentioned to my buddy that we had a great day of diving and we should head back to the mainland, and he agreed.
Before we could get everything in the boat set up for return trip the swells were 30 feet, and the wind was building.
Long story short, a fuel line broke on the boat and I didn't notice it till the tank was floating, so we didn't have enough fuel to make it back (I always took 5 gallons more than it normally took)
Fighting the swells to stay nosed into it took most what fuel we had left
Two days later the Coast Guard found us sailing back with our clothes tied between our spears and stuck on the oarlocks.
The boat was my 15 foot aluminum Bayrunner.

The Coast Guard asked if we had seen anyone else, but we had not and they told us three fishing boats sank during the night and 5 people were missing.
He said we had 45 foot blowing swells and 50mph winds and couldn't believe we were still out there and afloat.
I told them we had just enough fuel to get behind an island from the storm, but couldn't put the boat in due to the size of the surf.
We had 1 gallon of water, an 18 pack of Miller Genuine Draft and lobster (raw)

Adventure for sure.

-
Back