Which carb should I get?

Which carb should I go with?

• Total voters
-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
Ok guys......I built a 600 eddy 4 barrel electric choke carb for my duster awhile back ...... I ended up picking up a truck that had a bad carb on it and I robbed the carb I built for the duster and stuffed on the truck and then sold the truck.

so now I have no carb for the duster and I am thinking of just buying a new one.

my question is....which one? I am thinking of 1 of 2 carbs ......either an eddy 600 with electric choke..... or a 670 holley street avenger with electric choke.

I am leaning towards the 670 but I am thinking I might have to get a couple other things to make it work.....reason being is that with the dual feed line in place I am pretty certain that the fuel line will hit my intake (so I will have to get a carb spacer for it) and THEN I am not sure what kind of hood clearance I will have so I may have to get a drop filter base. But at the same time...I had a 670 street avenger a few years back and I loved it.

But I have also had good luck with the eddy carbs

here is my setup..... 67 318 with factory 67 318 heads ( I believe I ran the numbers and it came out to 2.02/1.60 for valves), block has been punched .030 over, dished poly pistons, block is decked and heads milled,purple shaft,eddy performer dual plane intake,long tube headers,2.5 dual exhaust,2500 stall converter,B&M pro ratchet shifter,28" tall tire with a 4.56 8 3/4 (489) sure grip posi.....I think that basically sums up the performance aspects if it gives you guys any better of an idea.

I am not looking for an all out drag car, just a driver car I can take to shows now and then that has a bit of pep in its step.

I would go with the 600 whether it is the Edelbrock or a Holley. The Avenger comes with fittings and rubber hose for the dual feed so that shouldn't be an issue with clearance to the intake. Also, there are so many dual feed line kits there shouldn't be an issue to find one that works.

I have a 670 Street Avenger on my 360 which is approximately 370 HP and it works great on that application. The 570 Street Avenger would be a great choice for your 318 too.

IMHO the 670 could be a bit to much for the teen. Besides, the eddy is a simpler instalation

With the combo you have I vote Holley. If you get a good one there is no shortage of ways to dial it in, and a healthy 318 will eat the 670 up and want more.

I am looking at the summit racing 600's too, they are a great price and are on sale for 10% off right now too....they are basically a holley anyhow, I have read a ton of reviews and have read alot of good things on them. I think I may go that route.

Here is a link to the thread discussion about the summit racing carb http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=137937

Im running the 600 holley on my 360 and it works as good as fuel inj.

I use holleys . But for an easy street app. I would suggest the eddy. Later holleys are prone to pullover. The only way to correct it is to use early bowls. I was on the phone with holley techs trying to correct this problem that plagues their carb for a long time now. Holley had me drill a .020 hole in the pump circuit. Buy their weighted needle. Anti-pullover squirters. They even make a spring loaded needle for $68.00. None worked in my app..Yes holley does make these parts to correct there mistake. The only way to resolve the problem was using older bowls.pre 1980. A race car can be jetted acordingly and use newer bowls. But if its correct on the bottom it will go lean on the big end. . The billit metering blocks you see being used with more emulsion jets help the main jet circuit correct the main jetting. My experience is that a holley with pullover cannot be correctly jetted for the best Air fuel ratio. unless early bowls are applied. So if your using iron rings and want them to last. Or you want to keep your oil free from fuel go with the Eddy. Or hunt the old bowls for your new holley. Make sure you find them without corroded check balls.

I just installed a proform 750 race carb on my 67 318 in my cuda and it runs great.
I replaced my 750 holley double pumper with it and that to ran really good.

If a 750 seems a little big to you then use the 650 proform race carb.

Mancini has them for $449.00..........................:glasses8:

My engine is just like yours with a mild cam and headers.

I ran a 670 Holley on my Dart when it was still a 318. It worked great. I didn't have any linkage trouble, even on my LD4B intake.

I say Ede 600.....Bolt on and go.

If you do get swayed over to the Holley side,stay away from the street avenger. Holleys poorest carb in years.

I have the the Avenger 670, it's flawless! Throttle responce is snappy, and it's been two years.

I say Ede 600.....Bolt on and go.

If you do get swayed over to the Holley side,stay away from the street avenger. Holleys poorest carb in years.

I'll take the crappiest factory holley over the best eddy \\:D/

Out of the box and bolt on eddy is the winner. Bench mark adjustments and fine tune and holley is the winner. Depends on what you want to do. You will never get that eddy to perform any better than out of the box. Hands down choice for me would be the holley. Once the holley is bench marked and fine tuned the 318 will come alive and you will be thankfull you didn't buy the eddy!

I have heard that for combination perfromance and gas mileage that the Avenger series is hard to beat.

I ended up buying one of the new summit racing 600 cfm carbs a few days ago. Basically ford uaed it in the 70's as an autolitecarb, then holley picked up rights to it and used it for the 4010 and 4011 series carbs and then summit pixked up the rights and revampes it. Tunable just like a holley, lots of cool features and a really nice design and the price was right!

I got it for 10% off PLUS a free tshirt PLUS 2 free hats.

Problem is, the day after I orderwd it, it showes up.... u installes it. But couldnot get the cheap fuel line to seal up abd the electruc choke would not work.

So I boxed it up and amsent it in on warranty for a new replacment AND I got them to give me a $25.00 gift certificate for the trouble.

I then used that certificate towards a nee aeroquip style dual feed line so when my new carb shiws up I SHOULD have no troubles with it.

Sent from Android smart phone.

i replaced holley 600 with eddy 650 avs runs so much smoother and more power. i got mine at autozone for 269 plus tax every where else carb was like 389. holley god for racing but eddy better for driveing just my 2 cents

-
Back