Which choke fits this manifold?

-

Troub

67 Dart 270, 225 slant six
Reaction score
Had to replace my original manifold due to a few issues so found a used one but the stove pocket is different on this one so the old choke won’t work. Which of the ones pictured go with this manifold and is it readily available? I’m guessing it’s one of the ones with a side?
Thanks as always! Pics....

8ED2472E-ED57-492F-9764-A89BDC54BFD3.jpeg

EADBD24B-069E-476F-A069-4FB43EE82D54.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the original manifold with the different pocket. It has gone to manifold heaven.

F583CA7A-51F1-4645-8EF9-2D69BCC03943.jpeg

There is a thermostatic switch that goes with it. The heater is intended to come on in warmer weather to go off choke faster.

The thermostatic switch would be similar to the item directly above the choke in the first pic. 12V switched power to it. (Many guys jumper off the wiper power for electric chokes)

The new manifold is a '73-up type, which requires a '73-up type choke thermostat. The factory items require correct hookup of the electric-assist heater or the choke will be too slow to open, wasting gasoline and diluting your engine oil. "Correct hookup" means you need the choke heater modulator dingus between your source of ignition-on +12v and your choke thermostat.

The '73-up cars have a bad reputation for cold-bloodedness (bitchy cold start/poor cold driveability), largely on account of these troublesome, nonadjustable chokes. Save yourself a great deal of aggravation and put on an adjustable electric choke kit. You'll need a kit № 1231 if you're running any up-to-'73 1bbl carb (Carter BBS, Holley 1920, Stromberg W) or a 1974-up Carter BBS. You'll need a № 1234 if you're running any other '74-up 1bbl (Holley 1945 or 6145). You'll need a № 1232 if you're running a 2bbl (Carter BBD, Holley 2280). Any of those three E-chokes will bolt onto the '73-up exhaust manifold you're running.

The new manifold is a '73-up type, which requires a '73-up type choke thermostat. The factory items require correct hookup of the electric-assist heater or the choke will be too slow to open, wasting gasoline and diluting your engine oil. "Correct hookup" means you need the choke heater modulator dingus between your source of ignition-on +12v and your choke thermostat.

The '73-up cars have a bad reputation for cold-bloodedness (bitchy cold start/poor cold driveability), largely on account of these troublesome, nonadjustable chokes. Save yourself a great deal of aggravation and put on an adjustable electric choke kit. You'll need a kit № 1231 if you're running any up-to-'73 1bbl carb (Carter BBS, Holley 1920, Stromberg W) or a 1974-up Carter BBS. You'll need a № 1234 if you're running any other '74-up 1bbl (Holley 1945 or 6145). You'll need a № 1232 if you're running a 2bbl (Carter BBD, Holley 2280). Any of those three E-chokes will bolt onto the '73-up exhaust manifold you're running.
Thanks Dan, I’m running a pre-73 Holly 1920 carb with the original to the car 67 engine. The carb may be original as well, I’m not sure. I will search for the 1231 kit.

Last edited:
-
Back