Which Distributor???

-

kfrese

Reaction score
Hey guys, my 340 short block is done, I am shopping and researching for a distributor. I have seen some on ebay for $60 bucks, with built in performance module??? And of course the name brand setups for over $200. My gut is telling me you get what you pay for. I am doing a mild build, I bought a air gap perfomer intake, will be getting an edelbrock performer 650, any suggestions on the distributor? Thanks everyone, your awesome.

Your gut is wrong..you get what they sell you....good or bad. Try the $60 pro-comp. cant be any worse than: a new stock distributor along with a spotty quality ECU and ballast resistor....and I hear they work very well. Accel/Mallory/MSD make a good distributor, but they only cost <=50% of what the 3rd retailer is marking up and asking from you, so that $60 distributor is probably close to "cost price" of a "top shelf" distributor.

I would go for the Mopar Performance small block kit.
Has the quick advance built in. For what your doing,it will work great.
It's been a proven system for years. Don't believe the negative hype.

I've also had good results,with putting my own system together.
Remanufactured 1973 electronic dist.
Remove heavy spring for a lighter spring. (Quicker advance).
Mopar wire harness.
Your favorite ECU/ ballast resistor.

You haven't mentioned if your car has electronic or a points system,at the moment ?

Start removing the ballast resistor,add GM bs,ect, and watch the can of worms you will open.

Did I mention I like Chrysler's system ?

I use re-worked factory dizzys like johnny dart, with a standalone MSD unit. they have never let me down

Get something that is easily adjustable from a mechanical advance standpoint.

I think the new $45 "ready to run" distributor on ebay has a better pickup than the Mopar one. An HEI module is also much better than the Mopar ECU, requiring no ballast. If you really want a 72+ Mopar factory setup, I think I have a SB e-distributor, gold ECU, and connectors I can sell cheap since I went HEI on my 65. PM if interested, but used parts.

Mopar wire harness.

You haven't mentioned if your car has electronic or a points system,at the moment ?

Start removing the ballast resistor,add GM bs,ect, and watch the can of worms you will open.

So you have two of the lighter springs in your distributor?

hey guys, thanks for the post, currently I have a shell, I think i want to go HEI, no chrysler box or ballast. Is there a reasonable kit I can buy that will include, distributor,coil and hot box as a package. Can you show me a website that does? thanks guys your a great help

As mentioned, the $45 ready-to-run distributor. Many posts here. Skip White Performance sells it cheapest on ebay. I bought his $20 e-core coil also, but looks like that price is now double. Many other e-core coils you can use, like the Mopar Magnum, GM external, or Ford TFI, plus Accel, MSD, ... Could use your stock coil, but less bang.

hey guys what do you think about this kit, I am doing a mild build on engine, not racing. Is this a good setup? This is ebay
mopar chrysler pro billet MSD street fire /coil 318 360

You DO get what you pay for especially with electrical items. Pay the extra & save yourself the tow truck fees & replacement costs later. One of my mates has a Firebird & 5 buggered dizzys (Pro Comps) went to MSD and you can't wipe the smile off his face. Another mate with his Chevelle, same story, I was driving in the car behind him in a club cruize, suddenly he pulled over (nearly hit him) Dead Dizzy (inbuilt coil died) & he was stuck 60miles from home. BUY QUALITY ONLY

Mopar wire harness.

X2 and well said!

-
Back