Which drums?

-

partsman1965

Reaction score
I'm changing from SBP to LBP on 1970 a-body 8 3/4. It had 10x2 bell type drums. What application LBP drum will fit with new LBP axles from drdiff? picture below is what I had.

Attachments

• DSC_1311.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 185
i think you will need new backing plates and all the appropriate brake hardware including drums from a donor.
..having said that,your old 10" rear bell drums are quite valuable and hard to find

when you ordered the axles from Dr Diff....what offset did you get for your brakes?

You might want to talk to the Doctor about what you bought......most BPP axles are set up for B and E body or 8.25 backing plates....

I have not ordered just yet. next week, they do list them as a-body?

yes..they do...but you need to talk to Cass aka Dr Diff...and tell him what brakes you are going to use...then he will send ya the right axles....

yes..they do...but you need to talk to Cass aka Dr Diff...and tell him what brakes you are going to use...then he will send ya the right axles....

What he said!

You can use any 1965 and up complete drum brake assemblies that are not small bolt pattern. 7-1/4, 8-1/4, 8-3/4, DANA.

I have a couple complete sets of 10"x2-1/2" from F bodies available.

What he said!

You can use any 1965 and up complete drum brake assemblies that are not small bolt pattern. 7-1/4, 8-1/4, 8-3/4, DANA.

I have a couple complete sets of 10"x2-1/2" from F bodies available.

Sorry to Hijack this post, but I had a similar question a few days ago. I swapped a 66/67 b body rear in place of the 8-1/4. I used the 8-1/4 brakes, backing plates on the 8-3/4, but re used the 8-1/4 rear drums. The shoes are the same width, so can I use the new b body drums I have in place of the older 8-1/4 drums I'm currently using? If your quote is correct then I should be good to go. The way I see it as long is there is no interference and the drums are both 10 inch, I should be ok. Thoughts anyone ?

I changed my 8 3/4 to large (4.5) bolt pattern, too. I didn't change any brake hardware as they were all new. Don't tell anybody, but I got a new pair of drums to fit a 1970 Ford mavrick. Bored the centers to fit my new Moser axles. Indicated off the inside bore. They fit real well and I didn't have to modify anything else. They have been working just fine. I would keep quiet about pulling a stunt like that though. It was fairly easy and it works.

Sorry to Hijack this post, but I had a similar question a few days ago. I swapped a 66/67 b body rear in place of the 8-1/4. I used the 8-1/4 brakes, backing plates on the 8-3/4, but re used the 8-1/4 rear drums. The shoes are the same width, so can I use the new b body drums I have in place of the older 8-1/4 drums I'm currently using? If your quote is correct then I should be good to go. The way I see it as long is there is no interference and the drums are both 10 inch, I should be ok. Thoughts anyone ?

"Assemblies" is the key word. That way you know they worked previously.
But if both sets of 10" drums are the for the same width shoes it shouldnt be an issue.
Measure and compare the 2 different drums.
Test fit first of course.

-
Back