Which field?

-

valiant1966

Reaction score
First thing I would like to say is to 67Dart273. Man, I wish I had your knowledge of the electrical parts of these cars and second, I wish I could better understand what you say(my bad, not yours). That being said, I am including pics so we can see what I am talking about and to help me better understand all this.

My understanding is that if I want to use a newer alternator in my car(!966 Valiant), I need to ground one of the fields. Does it matter which one I ground? Here are pics of my alternator and regulator.

Reg_zpsaa343df0.jpg

Alt_zps08365814.jpg

I thought in one place it said it does not matter but seems I also saw it needed to be the one at 9 o'clock(not sure 9o'clock compared to what).

I also have a wire running from the batt terminal on the alternator to the positive battery terminal in addition to the usual wire that comes off the alternator. My understanding this could help alleviate wiring problems going to the amp gauge.

This all may seem silly, but I'm having one helluva time with this electrical crap. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Dennis

Nope. Does not matter which field terminal you ground.

Del, read that part of his post about adding a second wire from the alternator lug straight to the battery!! Is that wise??....

Yup. That's the way mine is wired. Nice big no6 or so from the alternator to the battery.

-
Back