which harness style, latch or camlock

-
It sure is nice to release all the belts with one release.

Considering that you have to replace your belts every 2 years (if this is for a race car), I don't think they are worth it. I have had both...they both take about the same amount of time to buckle up, and they both come undone with one motion (lift latch, or turn the cam lock). The latch harnesses are ~ 1/2 the price...easy decision for me.

RCI will recertify once for free to allow four years of use

Latch, they are cheaper and less likely to get released accidentally; although this is less likely and less of a problem at the drag strip than it is on a road course.

I will agree. The camlock are easier to use and more comfortable (at least for me), but since they have to be replaced every 2 years the latch are much easier on the wallet. I don't know how it is with the drag guys, but in vintage road racing if you get FIA certified belts they are good for 5 years instead of two. They are also the most expensive as they are generally the European brands that you see in the F1 cars. (Sebit, Willans)

Just make sure you get your belts from somebody who sells a lot of them so you don't get stuck with something that will last less than 2 years because some of the time got sucked away sitting on their shelf!

Also keep in mind that the expiration is Dec 31 of the 2nd year after the belt was manufactured. So, even if they technically expire in June 2014 (manufactured June 2012), you can still use them until Dec 31, 2014.

Hope this helps!

Mike, 66 vintage road racer Fish

I will agree. The camlock are easier to use and more comfortable (at least for me), but since they have to be replaced every 2 years the latch are much easier on the wallet. I don't know how it is with the drag guys, but in vintage road racing if you get FIA certified belts they are good for 5 years instead of two. They are also the most expensive as they are generally the European brands that you see in the F1 cars. (Sebit, Willans)

Just make sure you get your belts from somebody who sells a lot of them so you don't get stuck with something that will last less than 2 years because some of the time got sucked away sitting on their shelf!

Also keep in mind that the expiration is Dec 31 of the 2nd year after the belt was manufactured. So, even if they technically expire in June 2014 (manufactured June 2012), you can still use them until Dec 31, 2014.

Hope this helps!

Mike, 66 vintage road racer Fish

They expire two years from the date on the label....if the label says June 2012...they expire the end of June 2014......... Not the end of that year........

that is what NHRA Rule book says..

Not that it matters much in this case but you'll never see cam-locks in desert racers. They won't take the dirt and grit, tend to seize or lock-up. just saying....

They expire two years from the date on the label....if the label says June 2012...they expire the end of June 2014......... Not the end of that year........

that is what NHRA Rule book says..

That is why I said that the drag guys may have other rules to live by. If in doubt, check the rule book!

-
Back