Which hood would you run?

-

Mopar-Man

Big Block Better Burnout
Reaction score
So I have this '74 Duster I am doing a tunnel ram and a scoop (like a Hilborn). I have a nice painted steel hood on it right now. I am not looking forward to cutting the bracing on this and trying to make it look not hacked. So if I go fiberglass, should I go hinged or lift off? Also what style would you do? I would assume flat, but a cowl (OMG on a MoPar!) could work so just the carbs and scoop showed.

Ideas?

get a 70s mopar super stock style hood and feel like a pro stocker cruisin thru your "hood"
sc0515-214388_11.jpg

lift off
a hinged hood will require a much larger opening on the front of the blower

same difference, my point is that you need excessive room on the front of the scoop, if your going to hinge it
if you lift it, you dont need that much room because you can come straight up

Lift off hood has a tendency to scratch the paint on the fenders.
Plus they are a pia.

IMO, whether you cut steel or fiberglass, it will require work to not look hacked (and not flop around like a noodle). Depends on whether you'd prefer to work with fiberglass or welding.

Plus they are a pia.
Agree, pain in the a$$. I made longer hood pins for the rear corners to help locate the hood when putting it on. Also put clear 1/2'' protective strip around the edge of the fenders and hood. Helps, still a pain !

Plus they are a pia.
yes they can scratch the fenders, but man a race weight lift off hood is a huge weight savings over the original especially once you take out hood hinges, and the front latch, i dont mind putting mine on by myself, and ive had the hood on and off by myself hundreds of times and have put only one or two scratches on the fenders, if youre driving more of a racecar i wouldnt mind, a showcar tho.... id go with a hinged hood just my .02

-
Back