Which master cylinder and brake booster?

-

evilred73

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm upgradeing the brakes on my 73 duster disc front and drum back and I guess I have a choice on booster and master cylinder. So which do you guys recommend and why.

Thanks a bunch.

The cheaper one
b0067da7.jpg

The rest are from $275 to $300
d393ce9c.jpg

f33852d9.jpg

fc74038b.jpg

Don't get the Summit one if it looks like the photo, since for GM (don't you hate those "representative photo"). Note the tilted bracket and threaded rod. GM had a strange design where the same brake pedal was used for manual and power, with holes at different heights (for different lever ratios), hence they had to tilt the booster.

I would get the $289 one and it comes with an adjustable proportioning valve (probably don't need the residual valves shown). It is also a double-diaphragm booster (as is MP one, $300 one looks like a single). The others have heavy cast-iron MC's, and who needs that. You can get the 2-hole alum MC at any auto parts (have read it is used on 90's Dodge trucks).

Or you could be a cheap Mopar bastard like me. I put a booster & MC from a 96 Breeze on Dart stand-off brackets. Works great. Well actually barely clears the after-market valve covers on my early A, but 3/16" is plenty.

I just had mine off to paint and install new master cylinder, order the proper decal for it , mine is number three , the car is a 73 dart sport 340 and i have excellent brakes .

Nice. A dual-diaphragm booster. Only thing is it looks like it has a factory style proportioning valve, instead of an adjustable one. Probably fine if your brakes are close to standard. At least you won't always be bothered wondering if you adjusted yours right.

Another question. I have seen slants with the booster on factory stand-off brackets. I wonder why they did that. Seems like enough room in a slant to mount the booster direct to the firewall, like my C body. Even in C-bodies, they mounted to a flat plate that mounted to the firewall.

-
Back