which paint

-

DARTLARRY

Reaction score
i am wanting to paint my car myself. What is the best process base clear, or one step. being a novice i havent tried either. Is one better than the other, is one easier then the other? ithought maybe someone here could help with these questions. thanks

i usually use dupont...they have a cheaper line also called nason...did u pick a color already?

Ya, My Car Is A 1971 Dart. It Has A Dark Mettalic Green. I Do Not Know The Code Though (fender Tag Gone). Maybe Someone Can Help With That.

I'd would go base coat/ clear coat, allows for fixing problems in the base before you clear it. Then the clear can be wet sanded and buffed if needed to get that ultra smooth finish.

1971-dodge-pc.jpg

Let me preface everything I'm about to say with I AM A RANK AMATEUR when it comes to paint.

The next time I paint the Dart (soon) I think I am going to use the Dupl-color lacquer Paint Shop paints. I have sprayed lacquer before and it seems easier then most everything else I have sprayed.

As far as dupont goes, just my personal preface I'll NEVER use it EVER.

just my 2 cents worth

TopHat

Well with no experience comes nothing to compare it to. I painted my car myself. The first time I tried metallic paint and it came out looking like a zebra. Second time I chose a solid (carib Blue 72 color) and it looks ok, but that's what wet sanding is for. There are some things that you are just going to have to live with if you are going to paint your car yourself:
1. if you don't have a paint booth it WILL have stuff in it ( bugs, dust, etc)
2. Don't think that if you can paint a trunk lid or hood with metallic and have it look good that you can paint a whole car ( my door jambs and inside the trunk looked awesome, then came the rest of the car).
3. the paint can only be as smooth as the under coat, generally it will have some orange peal (look at new cars in the parking lot at the grocery store).
4. If you want it to look REALLY shiny and smooth you WILL have to wet sand it.

And yes bc/cc solid color is the way to go for being able to fix stuff before final coats/finish.

Keep in mind this is from my experience (or lack there of), there are some other guys on the site that have great looking cars that they painted. I used shop line of PPG and I'm pretty happy with it. I got 4 coats from one gal of solid color paint but your mileage may vary (metallics don't cover as well.

Tophat, how is the duplicolor as far as fuel resistance?

Without knowing more info......base/clear in a solid color is easier

the color is factory. (no repaint) maybe its not metallic. but it looks like it to me. It seems to have some metal in it when it is polished.

As others have said, if you are painting a metallic go ahead and use Base/Clear. For a solid, single stage is fine.

Other people also seem to forget that you can wet sand/buff single stage as well. The problem with single stage for metallics is when you wet sand and buff, you are removing some of the paint and if each coat is not as prefect the one under it, then you will show said imperfections. Remeber, the factor never used b/c back in the day. The benefit of b/c is when you wet sand/buff, you are not hitting any of the color or metal flake. This means once you've got the right coverage and have dusted the last coat to even the metal flake, you can lay on as much clear as you'd like with the knowledge that runs in the clear and other imperfections will be buffed out.

All of the greens have some metallic in them. I did the Scamps hood and engine compartment in single stage Urethane with no problems and that was dark metallic gold.

Base/clear is easier for a newb, make sure you don't put your base on too wet or heavy, it causes problems, one of which is striping especially metallic. The clear goes on heavy just like single stage.

I am going to paint my 73 Dart Sport with the dark blue Dupl-color lacquer Paint Shop paint. I have never painted a car before so any let me know if you have any suggestions. Do I need to buff out the paint brfore I spray the clear or buff out the clear??? It will be easier for me by email as I do not log on here that often.

[email protected]

-
Back