Which transmission should i use?

-

steve801

Reaction score
66 valiant 318
I want to convert my 4 speed transmission over to an automatic…problem is, I have never had an automatic before…I am asking for suggestions on what to use and will the rear transmission mount be the same as the 4 speed and if not, where do I get one? Any other installation problems I might run into?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

You could use either one...

Problem only becomes an issue if you don't use a good builder.

I use and swear by Martin Saine or A&A, but for the TC Martin Saine.

904 has a whole lot less rotating mass - better match for the 318
I believe the 727 uses the same yoke as the 833 - driveshaft length is probably different. Not too hard to find a 904 driveshaft yoke.

904 has a whole lot less rotating mass - better match for the 318
I believe the 727 uses the same yoke as the 833 - driveshaft length is probably different. Not too hard to find a 904 driveshaft yoke.

so what is te difference between the two? are they both 3 spds? the 318 is built, i will occassionally get on it but the car is mostly for cruising. does anybody make a 4 spd automatic (overdrive)?

I dont think early a-bodies have much room so you might be limited to a 904 unless you want to make some (big f hammer) modifications.

Where in NJ?

I dont think early a-bodies have much room so you might be limited to a 904 unless you want to make some (big f hammer) modifications.

This is correct. Early A's can use a 727 but it's a super tight fit and may need some massaging from the BFH. The only overdrive transmission Mopar ever made was the a500 and A518 and both are way too big to fit into an early A without a lot of crossmember and floor work. Heck they won't even fit in a later A body without work. Your only easy option for using a OD trans is the Keisler OD conversion that uses a Chevy 700r4 or better yet installing a Gear Vendors od unit. But my choice would be a 904. The 904 is plenty strong for most any 318. It'll easily handle 425-450 hp if properly rebuilt just by adding a good Trans-go TF-2 shift kit. When I say properly I mean not just yanking it apart and slapping in new clutch plates. I mean completely taking it apart and hot tanking everything, rebuilding the clutch packs and setting the clutch plate clearance properly using selective snap rings, installing all new bushings and thrust washers, tightening up the gear train end play via special shims, and using the proper selective thrust washers to obtain the correct total end play and replacing the pump gears or pump if it's worn and checking the clearances to make sure everything is in spec. That way things aren't slapping around beating themselves to pieces. Then you completely disassemble the valve body and thoroughly clean every part and install a Trans-go TF-2 shift kit.

This is correct. Early A's can use a 727 but it's a super tight fit and may need some massaging from the BFH. The only overdrive transmission Mopar ever made was the a500 and A518 and both are way too big to fit into an early A without a lot of crossmember and floor work. Heck they won't even fit in a later A body without work. Your only easy option for using a OD trans is the Keisler OD conversion that uses a Chevy 700r4 or better yet installing a Gear Vendors od unit. But my choice would be a 904. The 904 is plenty strong for most any 318. It'll easily handle 425-450 hp if properly rebuilt just by adding a good Trans-go TF-2 shift kit. When I say properly I mean not just yanking it apart and slapping in new clutch plates. I mean completely taking it apart and hot tanking everything, rebuilding the clutch packs and setting the clutch plate clearance properly using selective snap rings, installing all new bushings and thrust washers, tightening up the gear train end play via special shims, and using the proper selective thrust washers to obtain the correct total end play and replacing the pump gears or pump if it's worn and checking the clearances to make sure everything is in spec. That way things aren't slapping around beating themselves to pieces. Then you completely disassemble the valve body and thoroughly clean every part and install a Trans-go TF-2 shift kit.

any suggestions for a nice, sleek shifter? I don't like the ones that look like a hugh old toaster on top...something that could almost look stock?

any suggestions for a nice, sleek shifter? I don't like the ones that look like a hugh old toaster on top...something that could almost look stock?

I successfully installed a B&M Quicksilver under the factory console on my 68 but I have never had a early A and don't know your shifter arrangement now so I don't really know. Maybe someone else has a suggestion. If you don't get any replies here you might start a new thread about that in particular in the general Mopar forum. I bet someone here has done it and knows what works best.

depending on which way you go....why not install a complete mopar automatic console & shifter from a 4/5/6 Barracuda ? it would essentially appear stock, can be used with a reverse valve body or regular valve body. if properly installed can be used with either 904 or 727 and does not look like a giant toaster? and they are all over the place with shiofters for around 200....... there are also custom transmission that you can buy for thousands and thousands...... but why? unless you plan on putting in a 4:88 gear and runnin it at the strip and plan on driving it the 100 miles to the strip why go into all that? for the gas mileage? or performance? for everyday use, cruising and the occasional shot a well built 904 should do ya just fine....if ya need more try the 727....if ya need more seek a custom build...but make certain you have a ski mask so you can hold up a few Party stores to get the insane money to have it made LOL

Id say use a 904 with the gear venders, this way you can run 410 in the rear because the gear venders basically changes the 3 speed auto into a 6 speed auto, you just have to use the h pipe instead of the x pipe. I'm going this route but using a 727

Well, I'm here to offer a complete automatic setup removed from a 66 Cuda. Console, shifter, brackets, linkage, everything needed to convert from 4 speed to auto. I even have the trans if you'd like to pursue that. PM me if you're interested, Geof

I have a 727 in my 64 Signet and did not do any hammering or cutting what so ever, its also a 1962 BB transmission with push button shifter. Now I don't know if there is a difference in regards to the space where regular shifting thingies are but it has plenty space on the shifter side. All what was changed going from a 904 to the 727 the driveshaft and the mount which I fabricated from the 904. I don't think things have changed that much in 25 years outside or the 518 length if you're going to use one.

Run the 904, a better fit and will handle all the power a 318 can make. I've been using the 904 for 20+ years. The only problem I've really encountered is the "cheaper" made converters will crack the converter neck @ the driving lugs. There are many quality makes now a days...spend the right amount in the first place, this will "save" you $$$ in the long run. A 9" or 10" converter with 3500 advertised stall will be a good place to start unless you intend on running a 2.76 gear. Also make sure you have a good trans cooler in front of the rad. this will help.
A couple of suggestions:
1. A manual shift valve body [which will eliminate the need for kick down linkage] which is essential for an "automatic shifting valve body"
2. A deep pan for extra cooling capacity
3. An aftermarket flex plate.

Attachments

• 65 in burn out box w.Bob Williams.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 307
  • Dart summer of 2010 nice wheels up high.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 278
  • 65 at Milan Barb pix 2006.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 303
You can purchase our A41 kit without the transmission, and source a used 4L60E locally if you want to save $$. We don't use the old 700R4 stuff - only the modern electronically controlled stuff for excellent driveability. Call up Empire Mopars in New Windsor NY and they can tell you about their experiences.

Other than the A500 and the A518 where there any other mopar OD transmissions that would fit a 75 Valiant with a low mod 318?

Other than the A500 and the A518 where there any other mopar OD transmissions that would fit a 75 Valiant with a low mod 318?

Either of those "fit" unless your doing major tranny tunnel surgery. Your best bet to get an o/d without cutting the tunnel would be to use either a gear vendors unit or a GM 200r4 (which is smaller then a 727 or 904.

Their is no o.d. trans. that fits an A-body without major modifications. The A500 and 518 require floor pan and crossmember re-working and they are the only Mopar o.d. trans. that don't require a computer and sensors to operate. The only o.d. unit you can install without modifying the floor pan is the gear vendors unit. It's a nice piece but not cheap.

-
Back