Which would be more fun, a 904 w/a 3000 stall or a 5 speed?

Which would be more funnerest on the street with 4.10 gears?

• Auto trans with a 2800-3200 stall converter and reverse manual valvebody

Votes: 32 34.4%
  • 5 speed from a Dakota/Ram with hydraulic clutch

Votes: 61 65.6%

• Total voters
-
Is the dakota 5spd very strong? I think manuals are fun and the overdrive is nice.

I had a 904 w/shift kit, auto valve body and stock converter in my swinger and I wasn't impressed, it shifted nice and firm when I got on it but it shifted kinda harsh in slow traffic. I dont do automatics anymore, 4 speeds are way more fun to drive.

I have a Tremec 5spd. in my car and have 4.10 gears also and at 70 mph 1700 rpm. Most definetly the 5 spd.

the auto trans will be more fun at the race track (and more durable and more consistant).

The 5 speed (or any floor shifter manual transmission) will be much more fun on the street.

its your car, where R U gonna use it??

voted for the 5-speed i live in a area with traffic dont bother me a bit unless u run some stiff clutch but autos bore me unless its true drag car

Street car..

5 speed is the key. Overdrive lets you run a decent gear and still go down the highway.

No question.

I love my 904/manual/transbrake, but I long for Overdrive literally every time I drive the thing.

being a person that likes to shift gears.I had built a 71 duster and used the manual reverse automatic and HATED it.Will never have another automatic in a pleasure car

I have a Tremec 5spd. in my car and have 4.10 gears also and at 70 mph 1700 rpm. Most definetly the 5 spd.

I have the tremec 5 speed in my demon running 355's you must have extremely tall tires or wrong speedo gear.4:10's - 70MPH - 1700 RPM?

I will tell you from experience, the 5 speed in the trucks don't shift very fast. It may be mine and age of the transmission, but the diesel guys back it up as well. It is just not a very fast reacting trans. When I stand on it in my truck, there is no 2nd gear chirp, cause the trans takes it time to unload first before I can head towards 2nd, and RPMs drop.
In my application, 2nd and 3rd gear syncros are aged pretty heavy, and this might contribute a bit to the aforementioned condition, and I have gone to full synthetic in an effort to help. It helps, but for lack of better terms, it just feels like 1st gear stays loaded for a second (even with the clutch in), before it unloads enough to allow you to pull the shifter out of 1st gear.

5 speed all the way! I'm running a 904 with a 3.90 gear and 26" tires. NOT fun to just drive around, especially on the highway or interstate.

Go 5spd because i have that dakota 5speed in my dart and its a hell of alot more fun driving it then with a 904 which i had before IMO + gas milage went up nicely and that overdrive is very nice especially on the highway. Im currently running 2.79 gears tho in the rear wich in 5th gear im at 2000 rpms at 70 mph and i hardly go into 5th on the streets, had 3.23 before but blew the hell out of the 7 1/4 rear end that had those gears in it.

The Dart is going to end up with a GM4l80e in it. Took a crap load of surgery to make it fit. Plans are for a EFI crossram big inch Hemi with all the electronics still in the trans, 3500 or so stall but with the lockup convertor and the .75 od should make the thing at least somewhat bearable on the road, if I ever get to it.....

-
Back